BUILD HDD LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlinton

Dabbler
Hey all!

I am having a very minor (perhaps insignificant) issue with my second FreeNAS machine. Although it’s purely cosmetic, it’s driving me up the wall. I feel like I’m missing something stupid.

My first box is a Supermicro 16Bay Server X7DBE 2x Intel Xeon L5420 32GB, LSI M1015 (flashed to IT). I have several 2 TB Toshiba drives in there and the whole things works great, I love it! -- This machine has been running for around a year or so.

However, I REALLY wanted to try to virtualize it. So, pushing through all experience and advice against it – I set off on my mission!

My VMware machine is an HP DL360 G6 with 2 Quad Core (HT) 2.93 Ghz, 144 GB of RAM and two drive cages. The first drive cage is going to my HP on-boad controller (P800, I think?), and I use that for my ESXi Data stores (all hard drives are 2.5in, 10K SAS)

The second cage is going to an LSI M1015 (also flashed to IT mode). I installed FreeNAS as a VM, passed through the LSI card and everything is working nice and peachy! I have my SMART status coming through to the VM, and best I can tell – no virtual layers between the drive and the VM.

Ready for the issue?! The darn LEDs on my Hard drives to not work correctly. They flash a few times when the VM boots – But they do not blink when active or anything.

I tried swapping the LSI cards between the Supermicro and the HP box, but I got the same result, so I don’t think it’s the LSI card. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

Tywin

Contributor
Have you tried running FreeNAS directly on the hardware (not on top of your ESXi host) to see if the LEDs work properly?

mlinton

Dabbler
I have not. I will see if I can get some of the other machines moved off and try that during down time..

Thanks,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.