HBA Swap out

CH4Pz

Explorer
Recently, although intermittently, been getting Cam Status error on da3, so thought id start by swapping out cables. On next boot my Z2 Volume came up as "Unknown" status, so after inspecting the system i noticed the bottom mini-SAS 8087 connector on my LSI HBA (in sig) was disconnected but when i plugged it back in, i noticed one of the pins was pushed back further than the rest. Not sure whether was the cause of original error or whether i damaged it swapping the cables, but regardless i need to now replace my HBA. I have a LSI 9267-8i raid card on hand and im wondering is it possible to use it as a HBA and just NOT create an array onit and import my volume? ive connected it but now both my volumes are "Unknown" (was just one volume on old card).

TLDR: Can i use a raid card as a replacement HBA? an if so, how?

cheers in advance :)

TLDR: Can i use a raid card as a replacement HBA? an if so, how?
I think you'll find good advice for this specific question if you check out the hardware recommendation guide and search the forums for using raid cards. The short answer is; don't use raid cards in raid mode with FreeNAS. Raid cards which can be flashed to passthrough or IT mode can be used.

tfran1990

Patron
Dont use a raid card. EVER.
Is there a way you can use some sata cables and connect it to the mobo, just until you get the replacement HBA?
At 27$ per M1015, order 3 for situations like this.

CH4Pz

Explorer
don't use a raid card. EVER.
Is there a way you can use some sata cables and connect it to the mobo, just until you get the replacement HBA?
The LSI 9217 is about $70aud, but i just ordered one then. Do you think just connecting the array to the raid card would have damaged my array at all?

tfran1990

Patron
Order a M1015 as well, takes a couple weeks to get it but if you ever have HBA problems you will have another to troubleshoot with, also use as a temp HBA until you get it replaced.

I know freenas needs to see the discs with nothing in between. There has been people who dont care about there data and reported using a raid card in raid mode, they were lucky they didnt have problems.
Breaking your pool i dont think so but possible data corruption maybe.

Check this out https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/hardware-raid-strongly-discouraged.49402/

don't use a raid card. EVER.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is an overstatement and potentially misleading. If you use a raid card and flash is to IT mode you're just fine. A quick search of the forums yields many posts and resources to this effect.

The LSI 9217 is about $70aud, but i just ordered one then. Do you think just connecting the array to the raid card would have damaged my array at all?
It is possible but not guaranteed. The primary worry with using RAID cards is that FreeNAS likes direct access to the disks for disk health, monitoring, etc and ZFS is a software raid tool rendering the benefits of a raid card at best pointless and at worse disastrous if it doesn't play nice with ZFS.

Perhaps I missed something but I don't think 3 cards are not necessary in this case. As far as I can tell each M1015 has two ports with 4 lanes each, thus even without an expander you can run 8 drives directly off an M1015 using a breakout cable. I use an LSI-9211-8i in a similar configuration with no issues. If you do end up needing more than the 8 lanes provided by most 2-port cards you can save a bit of money and use an expander to get access to more lanes for less money. Check out this video showing 1 HBA and 1 expander running 24 drives.

The LSI 9217 is about $70aud
If you are going to buy a new card I would recommend getting one which is NOT a raid card so you don't have to crossflash it to IT mode. I would suggest something like the LSI 9210 or the LSI 9211. Lots of folks used and had great luck with the M1015. If it is cheaper you could probably go with that and be fine or opt for slightly new but slightly more expensive models like the two I suggested above.

Also, quick question @tfran1990, would you mind editing your first post with your hardware specs at the time you asked this question? If your hardware evolves your signature will change and so adding it to the first post helps keep the post accurate and relevant over time.

I hope this is helpful. If i've gotten anything wrong above feel free to correct me.

tfran1990

Patron
Perhaps I missed something but I don't think 3 cards are not necessary in this case. As far as I can tell each M1015 has two ports with 4 lanes each, thus even without an expander you can run 8 drives directly off an M1015 using a breakout cable. I use an LSI-9211-8i in a similar configuration with no issues. If you do end up needing more than the 8 lanes provided by most 2-port cards you can save a bit of money and use an expander to get access to more lanes for less money. Check out this video showing 1 HBA and 1 expander running 24 drives.
I didnt actually mean 3, Im trying to stress that for 27-31$(the M1015) you should always have an extra on hand to minimize down time.
i have 2 M1015 sitting on the shelf with a lsi 9211 in my system. Then 2 of the IBM expanders M499XXX(cant remember) one in my system and the other in a freenas AMD build that i use to test disc and burn-ins.
If i need a replacement for a dead or troublesome hba i have one ready, i dont have to wait for an ebay seller to send one from china or use a raid card.
if i were you i would order a set of the 8087FB cables you can get 2 for 10.99 and get a spare cheap hba so if you ever have this happen again you have a replacement and have little down time.

Alot of people here that would be more then happy to answer any questions about flashing, heck i have all the files you would need for the it p20.00.07.00 and the 634a FW for the expander. It might speed up the process.

I didnt actually mean 3, Im trying to stress that for 27-31$(the M1015) you should always have an extra on hand to minimize down time.
Ah yeah, that makes sense. You make a great point re the low price to have a quick spare if desired.

CH4Pz

Explorer
Thanks heaps guys, i think i might grab a M1015 too.