HBA setup confusion on R720XD

brian_foulks

Cadet
Hello. Currently trying to set up TrueNAS on a Del R720XD with 24 SATA 2.5 drives and 2 SAS drives in the back. It has the H710 B0 mini RAID controller. I had configured the 2 SAS drives as RAID 1 and loaded the TrueNAS on that RAID. Everything was looking good except TrueNAS didn't see the 24 drives. I was reading further that for the 24 drives needed the H710 mini flashed to IT. I did so and now lost the ability to RAID the 2 SAS drives for the TrueNAS. Is there a way to do both with the H710? Do I need to purchase another HBA card for the 24 drives and reflash the H710 back? If I need another cards, is the H710P a good choice? Or am I going about this all wrong? i plan on using this system as storage for my ESXi server as well as PLEX storage. Thank you for your time

Lix

Dabbler
Bit quick on the trigger there, I see you have IT mode setup. Can’t the installer see the 2 back sas drives?

Herr_Merlin

Patron
Bit quick on the trigger there, I see you have IT mode setup. Can’t the installer see the 2 back sas drives?
It should. That's what I did some times as well. All drives on controllers in HBA mode. TrueNAS installer give you the option to create a mirror.. for the boot drive. Much better than conventional raid..

brian_foulks

Cadet
Thank you for the replies. I hadn't run the installer again. I had went into the controller for setting up the drives. I'll run it and will proceed from there. At least I'm on the right track.

Reactions: Lix