HBA recommendation.

narsimha0350

Dabbler
HI All,

I Recently bought
1. r610
2. r620

but not sure which of these fits for each of the servers.
I have looked at.

Request you to guide me to choose right hba, if links posted are not correct, please direct me to right links.

thanks,
Simha

Glorious1

Guru
I have no idea what r610 and r620 are, and of course I don't know what your hardware is, but it looks like any of those HBAs should work. Good prices too.

Herr_Merlin

Patron
Go for the LSI labeled to save trouble

diedrichg

Wizard
They are both being sold by the same person/company/distributer. They are not NEW, they are in fact used and they definitely won't be coming from Walton, KY. I recently bought one from the jiawen2018 seller thinking it would come from one of the datacenters in KY but it shipped from California - probably from a Chinese shipping container. Anyways, it came with a cheap new serial number label on the back (to pass it as new?). Despite those complaints and misrepresentation it was in fact flashed in IT mode with P20 firmware. It worked as hoped out of the box.

Just don't get your hopes up, but you should be fine with either of those first two.

Art of Server sells a lot of these cards. They have a channel on YouTube showing flashing, etc.

Yorick

Wizard
One can never have enough FreeNASes

You guys have issues. We need FA - FreeNAS Anonymous.

I got one, for home use, and I can't see ever needing more than that. I also don't handle compute/storage for a living, so there's that.

narsimha0350

Dabbler
There are n number of ways to use freenas, use raid to have data safety, or have a replication of data to different server (one another freenas here ) .
Baremetal freenas, VM freeNas.

. It is just an eye candy to watch transfer speed over GigaNiC , even when it means nothing .

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
You guys have issues. We need FA - FreeNAS Anonymous.

I got one, for home use, and I can't see ever needing more than that. I also don't handle compute/storage for a living, so there's that.
"Hello, everyone. My name is Spearfoot. It's been 7 weeks since I built my last FreeNAS server..." o_O

john60

Explorer
They are both being sold by the same person/company/distributer. They are not NEW, they are in fact used and they definitely won't be coming from Walton, KY. I recently bought one from the jiawen2018 seller thinking it would come from one of the datacenters in KY but it shipped from California - probably from a Chinese shipping container. Anyways, it came with a cheap new serial number label on the back (to pass it as new?). Despite those complaints and misrepresentation it was in fact flashed in IT mode with P20 firmware. It worked as hoped out of the box.

Just don't get your hopes up, but you should be fine with either of those first two.
what is P20 firmware?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
what is P20 firmware?
P20 firmware is the software users flash to the LSI 2008 & 2308 family of Host Bus Adapter (HBA) cards. The version you want for ZFS is the IT-mode phase 20.00.07.00, suitable for use with LSI SAS9210/9211 cards and matching OEM versions (Dell H200, etc.)

There is a resource here on the forum that explains how to flash these cards.