HBA IBM M1115 vs LSI SAS 9240

nabsltd

Contributor
They are essentially identical, with only the BIOS being different. They can be cross-flashed into each other, so either one can be used:

As for SAS2 vs. SAS3, if you are using direct connect (i.e., using a fan-out cable to connect 4 SATA drives to each connector on the card, then there will be no speed difference when using SATA drives, since SATA is capped at 6Gbps, which is SAS2 speed. If you use an expander, then it's unlikely you'll see any speed difference, either, until you have more (often a lot more) than 8 drives active at the same time.

phier

Patron
thanks, in that case SAS3 with SAS drives i assume is 6-12Gbps? thanks

nabsltd

Contributor
SAS3 supports 12Gbps per channel. Any SAS disk you buy today (even used) is going to be at least SAS2 (6Gbps), but SAS3 really aren't any more expensive.

You still won't get any more speed per disk if you are using spinning rust, since event the fastest is around 2Gbps. But, SAS3 will help if you use an expander, since drives get multiplexed onto the SAS channels that are connected to the expander.

phier

Patron
hello,
what do you mean by "spinning rust" ?
i also assume you can use SAS3 without expander and directly connect drives from HBA? What expander do you mean?
thanks

blanchet

Guru
spinning rust is an ironic expression to says spinning disks
It emphasizes that spinning disks is an older technology than SSD.

Spinning disks are not rusted, it is just a slower but cheaper technology to store a very large amount of data.

Redcoat

MVP