LSI HBA Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
do I need to unplug everything to avoid damage to the other disks while I'm testing the system.
That was my advice, yes.
so I don't really want to subject everything to the wear/tear of unplugging/plugging.
I apologize for being blunt, but it's your data, your risk and your choice.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
@BigDave, thanks for suggestion... During the installation process FreeNAS write to any hard disks that are attached to the motherboard? I plan on installing the test system to a USB drive. The system I am using is a linux machine with disks formatted EXT4. As long as I'm very careful which disk I select do I need to unplug everything to avoid damage to the other disks while I'm testing the system. It's just a short test run, so I don't really want to subject everything to the wear/tear of unplugging/plugging. Any input would be appreciated.

@EV I appreciate the comment. I have easy access in a very large case, and from what I can see the MonoPrice cables are fine In my application. I wouldn't want to use them on a test bench where they were being installed and removed frequently, or if sharp bends were required.
I would disconnect because if something random and bad did happen it would probably result in everything being destroyed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

NASbox

Guru
@SweetAndLow - Fair enough... that being the case when I get to upgrading my current system what procedure should I follow so that I don't trash the existing pools... restoring 10+TB is something that I am not eager to have to do.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
@SweetAndLow - Fair enough... that being the case when I get to upgrading my current system what procedure should I follow so that I don't trash the existing pools... restoring 10+TB is something that I am not eager to have to do.
After you install it once you don't have to do it again. Just reset to factory defaults in your test system then plug that USB into your new system.

Installing is very predictable and safe but you should not trust something until you have tested it and know how it works.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.