SOLVED Have joined AD but cannot see domain users in the UI or access share

dr_d_rock

Cadet
I am looking at moving our file system over from QNAP to FreeNAS. I have previously setup a FreeNAS for a non domain offsite backup.

The issue I am running into is I am unable to see any domain users/groups in the Pools>Permissions UI as well as gain access to the share from a Windows 7 machine.

I am running version 11.2-U3. I have the machine joined to the domain. Running wbinfo -u / -g produces the domain users/groups. Same with getent group / passwd. I do not see the users when I run python /usr/local/www/freenasUI/tools/cachetool.py dump. I have attached a copy of my smb.conf file and debug file.

I have followed the steps in this thread with no luck. https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/i-can-join-but-not-bind-to-active-directory.75304/

Attachments

• smb4_conf.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 355
  • debug-catch-fs01-20190409150536.tgz
    3.3 MB · Views: 301

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am looking at moving our file system over from QNAP to FreeNAS. I have previously setup a FreeNAS for a non domain offsite backup.

The issue I am running into is I am unable to see any domain users/groups in the Pools>Permissions UI as well as gain access to the share from a Windows 7 machine.

I am running version 11.2-U3. I have the machine joined to the domain. Running wbinfo -u / -g produces the domain users/groups. Same with getent group / passwd. I do not see the users when I run python /usr/local/www/freenasUI/tools/cachetool.py dump. I have attached a copy of my smb.conf file and debug file.

I have followed the steps in this thread with no luck. https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/i-can-join-but-not-bind-to-active-directory.75304/
Lack of visibility in the UI can be worked around by just typing the username in the format "DOMAIN\User". The root cause of this appears to be connectivity issues with at least one LDAP server in your environment:
Code:
ldap.SERVER_DOWN: {'desc': "Can't contact LDAP server", 'errno': 57, 'info': 'Socket is not connected'}
. This is probably worth investigating a bit more.

I'm in the process of rewriting the user / group caching in 11.3. We will actually build our gui cache from winbind's internal cache (which will eliminate the step of going across the network).

As far as access goes, that's most likely an ACL issue. If you set permissions correctly, it will work.

dr_d_rock

Cadet
Thanks anodos!

I was having issues manually adding a few different domain users in the UI but managed to get that working now.

Thanks again!