Have I created a new pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krist8

Dabbler
I read the manual to extend the volume (I guess I did not read and understand properly) using a new WD Red 3 TB. I already have a pool (NAS) which has a WD Red 3TB (with 2 partitions). So, I clicked the extend volume (thinking that it will give me a choice of mirror, stripe, etc.), but it just went ahead and added my new HDD. Here is what I got from zpool status:
Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status												 
  pool: NAS																	 
 state: ONLINE																 
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 1703h44m with 0 errors on Sun Aug 27 23:44:44 2017 
config:																		 

NAME										  STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
	   NAS										   ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		 gptid/7cc9eb7d-2472-11e7-9d1e-00241d719bcb  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		 gptid/d79781ec-d796-11e7-a4dd-00241d719bcb  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

errors: No known data errors													

pool: freenas-boot															
 state: ONLINE																 
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Tue Aug 29 03:45:22 2017	 
config:																		 

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM								 
	   freenas-boot  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								
		 ada2p2	ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								 

errors: No known data errors

So do I have 2 pools or is it a stripe pool? How do I go about detaching or delete the 2nd pool?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You have a striped pool of 2 drives. You don't remove it, the only way to undo what you did is to destroy the pool and start over.

Krist8

Dabbler
Thanks. I am starting new. I only use FreeNAS as a backup for my 2 desktops and 2 laptops. So, I do not think I need a mirror. Stripe is too risky. So how do I install the 2 HDD’s? Do I have to create 2 pools and assign one drive to each pool?

Arwen

MVP
Thanks. I am starting new. I only use FreeNAS as a backup for my 2 desktops and 2 laptops. So, I do not think I need a mirror.
Some uses of external storage don't require redundancy. It's just that one of the key features of FreeNAS is reliability due to redundancy. You have to decide.

So how do I install the 2 HDD’s? Do I have to create 2 pools and assign one drive to each pool?
Yes, create 2 pools. And create at least one share on each pool so clients can access them..

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
So, I clicked the extend volume (thinking that it will give me a choice of mirror, stripe, etc.)
There is no choice if you're only extending with one disk. If you're adding multiple disks, you can choose how those disks will be arranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.