Adding new disk to mirror existing zpool - stripe

Status
Not open for further replies.

RlainTheFirst

Dabbler
That's right, you could add a second (and third) mirror vdev to your pool later but you cannot remove a vdev from a pool after adding it. So attempt to plan wisely.

A more beneficial experience would be to replace the 6 TB disk by a second 10 TB disk at some time in the future (expands usable storage distinctly) and then to buy a second 6 TB disk (adding a mirror of two 6TB disks to a then existing mirror of two 10 TB disks will expand usable storage distinctly as well).

And don't forget to read cyberjock's slideshow.
Oh well thats a good catchya! If I do use the 4*500gb disks They cannot be removed from the pool and thus I would need to create a new pool, copy all data there and destroy the original pool. Which could be very problematic if I only have 6 sata ports and I've used them all... I shall stick with the 10tb mirroring the 6tb for 6tb of storage. The day I need more I will replace it with a 10tb and move the 6tb to the offsite backup to increase its size to 10tb as well.

Also, I started reading that pdf, great info! You guys should add that on the very frontpage with a hard link of this forum! (Did I miss it?)

So then my last question:
If I do: zfs send -Rv HomeVol@snapshot_name | zfs receive -Fdu pool2 (where pool2 resides on 10tb temp volume)
followed by destroying HomeVol and recreating it with only a 6tb drive, and then: zfs send -Rv pool2@snapshot_name | zfs receive -Fdu HomeVol.
Lastly a zpool attach HomeVol 6tbdisk 10tbdisk.

Whats my best shot at keeping my services (like smb etc), permissions (should just come along with the send/recieve commands of snapshot, right?), and jails.
Should I stop them, and restart them after all this is done and hope they just work, or set them up again from scratch?

Many many thanks for all help here so far!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Oh well thats a good catchya! If I do use the 4*500gb disks They cannot be removed from the pool and thus I would need to create a new pool, copy all data there and destroy the original pool. Which could be very problematic if I only have 6 sata ports and I've used them all... I shall stick with the 10tb mirroring the 6tb for 6tb of storage. The day I need more I will replace it with a 10tb and move the 6tb to the offsite backup to increase its size to 10tb as well.

Also, I started reading that pdf, great info! You guys should add that on the very frontpage with a hard link of this forum! (Did I miss it?)

So then my last question:
If I do: zfs send -Rv HomeVol@snapshot_name | zfs receive -Fdu pool2 (where pool2 resides on 10tb temp volume)
followed by destroying HomeVol and recreating it with only a 6tb drive, and then: zfs send -Rv pool2@snapshot_name | zfs receive -Fdu HomeVol.
Lastly a zpool attach HomeVol 6tbdisk 10tbdisk.

Whats my best shot at keeping my services (like smb etc), permissions (should just come along with the send/recieve commands of snapshot, right?), and jails.
Should I stop them, and restart them after all this is done and hope they just work, or set them up again from scratch?

Many many thanks for all help here so far!
don't use the cli to destroy or create pools. Freenas is designed to be used from the webui.

RlainTheFirst

Dabbler
don't use the cli to destroy or create pools. Freenas is designed to be used from the webui.
Too bad it didn't actually work :P
I tried detaching and destroying HomeVol from the gui and it threw a bunch of errors at me, looked a lot like a bug report, and so I did the rest through cli.
Now I've rebooted the machine without the 500gb disks and created a new HomeVol volume on the 6tb drive, on which I ran the send/receive command from the 10tb tempVol.
It is slowly but surely copying everything back to the 6tb drive, it would seem. :)

Once this is up I hope my jails etc wont be needed to be reconfigured from scratch (if they do I can live with it), but Ill post back with how it all went down.
I then plan on destroying (hopefully the gui works this time) the 10tb volume and adding it to the 6tb as a mirror for possiblke future upgrade.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Too bad it didn't actually work :p
I tried detaching and destroying HomeVol from the gui and it threw a bunch of errors at me, looked a lot like a bug report, and so I did the rest through cli.
Now I've rebooted the machine without the 500gb disks and created a new HomeVol volume on the 6tb drive, on which I ran the send/receive command from the 10tb tempVol.
It is slowly but surely copying everything back to the 6tb drive, it would seem. :)

Once this is up I hope my jails etc wont be needed to be reconfigured from scratch (if they do I can live with it), but Ill post back with how it all went down.
I then plan on destroying (hopefully the gui works this time) the 10tb volume and adding it to the 6tb as a mirror for possiblke future upgrade.
There use no to late, you just did it wrong and will have nondeterministic results. Good luck and I suggest using plain freebsd if you want to use the cli.

RlainTheFirst

Dabbler
There use no to late, you just did it wrong and will have nondeterministic results. Good luck and I suggest using plain freebsd if you want to use the cli.

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean.
But since you seem interested in the troubles I've had, heres a screenshot on my other server which replicated the same issues I had the post above:

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 8.51.52 PM.png

Stux

MVP
I'm having trouble understanding what you mean.
But since you seem interested in the troubles I've had, heres a screenshot on my other server which replicated the same issues I had the post above:

View attachment 20952

It means the pool is busy. Might need to move the system data set first. Or shut down jails/services etc.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
then two mirrors of two 500GB disks each
Sell those 500GB drives on eBay and be done with them. They might bring you enough money to buy something useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.