SOLVED Have completely lost acess to truenas

Aotearoaboi

Dabbler
Hello everyone

I noticed about a week ago that my plex wasnt displaying any media at all, about a month prior to this i had lost acess to the server drive acess i had from my computer

Whenever i go to GUI IP adress is just comes up with this. I have tried many times to turn the server off and on, ive changed the configuration of ethernet cables.
timed out.png

If I scan my network with advanced ip scanner, i can see that the server is there but i have no way to use it
truenas online.png

Ive checked my SMB settings and ive removed relevent windows credentials as they were not working anyway. But i cant event get into the GUI. Does anyone have any thoughts on how i can acess the gui, get my media back online and acess the drive from my computer?

As you can tell, i am no where near as computer literate as most users on this site but i appreciate any help offered

Thank you for reading

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What's showing on the console?

Aotearoaboi

Dabbler
What's showing on the console?

Thank you for your comment

Ive managaged to get everything back online,. All media is showing and i am now able to log in to the GUI but i still cant get into the drive via the network. Im thinking its a windows problem because i went and deleted my old user account, created a new one with a new password. I then went to map the drive in windows and its claiming "the specified network password is not correct". Im racking my brains here tryna think of where ive gone wrong. I know the password and username is right cause i just set it. Ive set up SMB shares in the TRUENAS GUI and allocated the right user and everything.

Do you have any thoughts?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
This is a completely different question and I don't use Windows - sorry.

joeschmuck

Old Man
When you open up Windoze Explorer, you need to tell it to use another account, then enter your TrueNAS credentials. OR change your TrueNAS credentials to line up with your new Windoze credentials. People try hard to avoid this type of problem, any now you know why. If you only changed your password, then change it on TrueNAS as well. Permissions issues are a real pain, once you have them figured out it's best to leave them alone.

Aotearoaboi

Dabbler
When you open up Windoze Explorer, you need to tell it to use another account, then enter your TrueNAS credentials. OR change your TrueNAS credentials to line up with your new Windoze credentials. People try hard to avoid this type of problem, any now you know why. If you only changed your password, then change it on TrueNAS as well. Permissions issues are a real pain, once you have them figured out it's best to leave them alone.

Hi thank you for your comment

I have tried all of that, when i wake up tomorrow ill try setting it the same as my windows login details. Shy of that im outta ideas haha

chuck32

Guru
I have tried all of that, when i wake up tomorrow ill try setting it the same as my windows login details. Shy of that im outta ideas haha
I just resolved some permission struggle myself. What would work almost certainly:

Create a new user, make sure the user has access.
Delete the mapping in Windows completely.
Go to credential manager in windows, remove all smb credentials.

Remap the drive and authenticate using the newly created credentials.

Profit.

Mainly it's a pain in the rear that you cannot really change your credentials after the drive is mapped, or at least I don't know how.

Aotearoaboi

Dabbler
I just resolved some permission struggle myself. What would work almost certainly:

Create a new user, make sure the user has access.
Delete the mapping in Windows completely.
Go to credential manager in windows, remove all smb credentials.

Remap the drive and authenticate using the newly created credentials.

Profit.

Mainly it's a pain in the rear that you cannot really change your credentials after the drive is mapped, or at least I don't know how.

Thank you for your message

I have done all of that and still having problems. It just gives me this message, the sign in details are exactly the same as ones i just set. Could it be a windows setting or more likely SMB?

signin details.png

asap2go

Patron
Just to make sure:
Does the user have Samba authentication checked in TrueNAS?
I missed that once...

chuck32

Guru
Please double check but if that failed I'm at loss. Maybe create a txt file where you copy name and password from, so it matches.

Also please verify that ACL allows you access. Manually add your user:

Screenshot 2023-11-01 143716.png

What I'd maybe add in the round of trying: delete the share in truenas and add a new share rather than modifying the current one.

You surely deleted these?
1698845937334.png

Reboot after deleting the credentials and deleting the mapped drive.

I'd try to choose a username that is not your MS user account honestly.

From my experience windows can throw all sorts of error messages, they do not necessarily need to be true. You can ping your smb share address?

Since I think it's rather strange if you really did everything we suggested right, I had a look around:

Source
Methods 2:

Make sure these services are set to automatic.

i. Click start and type services.msc in the search box.

ii. Check if the following services are started, if not start the service and set it to automatic.

List of services:
i. SSDP Discovery
ii. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
iii. Computer Browser
iv. Server

And this thread seem promising. But I'd save this one for the last step if all above fails.

After this I'm all out of ideas unfortunately. I hope you get the issue resolved though!

Aotearoaboi

Dabbler
Just to make sure:
Does the user have Samba authentication checked in TrueNAS?
I missed that once...
Thank you for your message

I actually didnt have that turn on for user. I found the error. I will post below

Aotearoaboi

Dabbler
Please double check but if that failed I'm at loss. Maybe create a txt file where you copy name and password from, so it matches.

Also please verify that ACL allows you access. Manually add your user:

View attachment 71951

What I'd maybe add in the round of trying: delete the share in truenas and add a new share rather than modifying the current one.

You surely deleted these?
View attachment 71953

Reboot after deleting the credentials and deleting the mapped drive.

I'd try to choose a username that is not your MS user account honestly.

From my experience windows can throw all sorts of error messages, they do not necessarily need to be true. You can ping your smb share address?

Since I think it's rather strange if you really did everything we suggested right, I had a look around:

Source

And this thread seem promising. But I'd save this one for the last step if all above fails.

After this I'm all out of ideas unfortunately. I hope you get the issue resolved though!
Thank you so much for your detailed comment

I have found the error not without help from you guys though. I will post below

Aotearoaboi

Dabbler
SOLVED

Whenever i went to SMB settings on windows id always have to turn back on "Server" and "Automatic Removal". It always looked like this when i went to check on them

Windows SMB.png

I found this very odd but i didnt realize it was causing the issue until i read this comment by Claus Hviid about how they are automatically turned off by windows 11. I feel like a fool but i didnt know that all three needed to be ticked, i thought the "Client" was the only essential one. The only thing I dont understand is why this happened in the first place. It happened when i was transferring a movie file over from my PC to the server, i just dont understand why.

Anyway, ive learnt something here. Thank you everyone for your input, it is immensely appreciated

chuck32

Guru
I'm glad you solved your problem but you shouldn't be using smb 1.0 to begin with. I enabled use SMB v2/v3 duration handles on truenas, I currently don't know how to check but I'm confident I don't use SMB 1.0.

I have neither activited:
1698907438004.png

Also Claus comment enables unathenticaed guest access and not the options you mentioned. I had trouble with this on WIn 10 - when I wanted to copy files via a bat file on logon, it didn't work 75 % of the time but the other times it did. Had something to do with a group policy, since I'm on a fresh WIn 11 install - no problems.

asap2go

Patron
I'm glad you solved your problem but you shouldn't be using smb 1.0 to begin with. I enabled use SMB v2/v3 duration handles on truenas, I currently don't know how to check but I'm confident I don't use SMB 1.0.

View attachment 71983

Also Claus comment enables unathenticaed guest access and not the options you mentioned. I had trouble with this on WIn 10 - when I wanted to copy files via a bat file on logon, it didn't work 75 % of the time but the other times it did. Had something to do with a group policy, since I'm on a fresh WIn 11 install - no problems.
SMBv1 is off by default in TrueNAS as it is whoefully unsecure.

chuck32

Guru
Then I don't know why the smb 1.0 solved the problem if OP is on default config.

I suspect OP isn't.

Windows and SMB is nice when it works but I feel it's sometimes quirky at best.

Aotearoaboi

Dabbler

View attachment 71983

Hello again

Can i just ask, i dont have this option for SMB direct, is there some extra setup to get this going

chuck32

Guru
Can i just ask, i dont have this option for SMB direct, is there some extra setup to get this going
What setting exactly do you mean?

The duration handle is found in the SMB share options in truenas, unauthenticated guest access is a Windows setting.