BUILD Hardware selection - 1st FreeNAS build

DataKeeper

Patron
3 more questions...

1. Regarding the M1015 controller.. While starting with 12 drives though eventually running 24 total should I run with a single M1015 card or should it be split between two?

2. Is the performance hit really that great if only a single pair is used rather then 4 modules? I'll be going with the Samsung 16GB RDIMMs and yes, this IS due to cost of the project! :eek: Price just dropped $10 bucks each. I'm going to order 2 modules for 32GB for now during the install and testing.

3. I've ignored ZIL and L2ARC entirely and honestly haven't read up on either that much aside from they can affect the systems performance both negatively and positively depending on build and use. I don't see the system being hit hard that often in all truth. Should I bother with either or these two options or not? Can they be added at a later date it eventually needed?

I'll more then likely purchase the single port 10GbE X540-T1 network card. Mainboard has 2 on-board gigabyte ports which can be used if wanted.

I've updated initial post with sources and current pricing as of today for most hardware.

Thanks for all the support and comments so far!

marbus90

Guru
1. A single M1015 has the capability to talk with 4GB/s trough the PCIe subsystem. The connection to the expander runs at 2.4GB/s or 4.8GB/s (depending on the two cables actually working together). So that leaves you for a theoretical 6disk raidz2 max troughput of 1.6GB/s to ca. 2.6GB/s, hence enough for 10Gbe.

2. it's meh. I wouldn't go for a single DIMM however. at least 2, better 4 DIMMs per Xeon E5.

3. you can add that later. add more RAM before you add L2ARC, add the SLOG device only if you need sync write performance (used for VMs). but if you need a SLOG, reconsider your disk layout - striped mirrors is the way to go.

DataKeeper

Patron
Well to date I have the Chassis, CPU Cooler & longer 75cm data cables. Gotta say the Noctua cooler is truly impressive! This coming from someone who hasn't built a system in over a dozen years. Also have 4x4TB WD RED drives sitting in the corner.

A friend of a friend happened to have a used M1015 which was passed over to my friend then to me so as long as it works I have that. Free is great.. when it works :)

Ordered a refurbished UPS which should arrive tomorrow. An APC SUA2200RM2U with new batteries and a 1 year warranty. Shipping weight is 112Lbs! I've purchased used APCs from this eBay seller (gruzinchik) before and have always been happy. Might even order a second one later.

Last night I ordered the Supermicro X10SRL-F, Intel E5-1650 V3, 4x16Gb (64GB) Samsung DDR4 ECC Ram and 2x Intel X540-T1 NICs from Newegg. Unfortunately they ran out of stock on the 32Gb sata-doms at 69.99. I'll pick them up when back in stock. For now I have a few flash drives I can use to test with if I get things put together before they return to stock.

Might order a few more 4TB drives from Amazon tonight with a few smaller items. Amazon limits to 4 or 5 of these drives per order. Next week I'll order a few more.

Also picked up an SC813MTQ-350CB chassis with an X8SIE-F, Xeon X3440 64-Bit 4-Core CPU and 8Gb ram. For $125 shipped a decent deal I think. I'll swap the internals into another smaller chassis (CSE-512L-260B) for a pfSense box and use this chassis with maybe an A1SRi-2757-F or an A1SAi-2750-F for an ESXi server.

One might think of hiding the credit card bill this month lol

Edit.. Also ordered a couple new static wrist straps since mine had dry-rotted

Last edited:

marbus90

Guru
The 16 and 32GB SATADOMs might not come back into stock. I've seen that they only list the 64GB ones on certain pages.

DataKeeper

Patron
The 32 is still listed but via a 3rd party at $199.99 which I'm simply not paying. I had signed up to be notified when Newegg got them back in stock however I see that option has since been removed from the page.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Anyone who buys a 32GB SATA DOM for 200 bucks is a grade A chump.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

marbus90

Guru
Which would require extra SATA power, extra 2.5" mounts, extra data cables... I'd rather go with DOMs.

DataKeeper

Patron

DataKeeper

Patron
Received the X10SRL-F, Intel E5-1650 V3 and 2 X540-T1 today and the APC SUA2200RM2U yesterday. I noticed a slice on the power cable of the APC and the seller shipped out a replacement cable today. Ram should be here on Thursday.

Found a localish company who buys and refurbishes government hardware and they have a number of server rack cabinets available. I was hoping to get a 36U cabinet for $300 from them but they currently don't have any in right now. They do have 42U cabinets for $400 but that's much larger than I need. The owner took my name/number and said when the 36U cabinets come in he'll give me a call.

DataKeeper

Patron
I'll supply them to you for only $325 :D

(jgreco edits DataKeeper's post to read: "I'll supply them to you for only $32.50" ... evil mod abuse!)
DataKeeper reports jgreco for wrongful mod abuse only to find his account deleted moments later...

DataKeeper

Patron
Went down and cleared off the worktable in the basement tonight then moved things down to get ready. Once the ram shows up I may start assembly though may do the pfSense first. Ignore the keyboard and mouse. I hope to do everything via laptop connecting via IPMI which should be different. :D

Quick photo of current hardware for those looking for some pics..
hardware02nas.JPG

Hobbel

Contributor
@DataKeeper When you are doing the assembly, I would love to see more pics of the board inside of the chassis (with the doms installed). Have a similar build in the pipeline. ;)

Hobbel

Contributor
I compared your hardware choices and mine. Why are you using the WD Red series drives? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Re series also is 24/7 and has more warranty. So why don't you go with them? (I use the Red drives only in smaller build up to 4 disks)