BUILD Hardware selection - 1st FreeNAS build

DataKeeper

Patron
@DataKeeper Your build is using SATA DOM chips mirrored as boot drives. I am thinking of using also DOMs for boot but I noticed from Supermicro SATA DOM pdf that using Supermicro DOMs as RAID mirror is not recommended... But you haven't had any issues with your build for 2 years so they seem to work just fine.

Does any one know why they are not recommended? They are basically comparable to SSD drives?

Yes, I'm using 2 x SSD-DM064-PHI 64GB SATA DOM drives, mirrored. The amount of data that gets written to these on a daily basis is SO SMALL, we're talking a few MBs really, that they are for all intents and purposes idle. The SMC DOMS are rated at 1 DWPD which is 100GB of written data daily for their warranted period. Because of their use, or their lack of to be exact, I have no issues using them as such and in a Raid 1 setup. As with almost anything like these, I have a spare on the shelf in case one craps out.

I'd suggest going with the smaller 32GB or even the 16GB DOMs as the 64s are way more then required. In 2 years I've yet to use 10% (6GB) of space on them. I'd originally purchased the 32s but has slight issues with both and at the time the 64s were the only ones available.

Mod note: Edited to prevent intensive rage over the expression "intents and purposes".

-Ericloewe

Last edited by a moderator:

Jatrabari

Contributor
I'd suggest going with the smaller 32GB or even the 16GB DOMs as the 64s are way more then required. In 2 years I've yet to use 10% (6GB) of space on them. I'd originally purchased the 32s but has slight issues with both and at the time the 64s were the only ones available.

Thanks for the tip. I was going for 64 GB also but I think I will downgrade to 32 as they are still available here. What do you have on the boot drive running altogether?

DataKeeper

Patron
Thanks for the tip. I was going for 64 GB also but I think I will downgrade to 32 as they are still available here. What do you have on the boot drive running altogether?

The 16GB DOMs are likely plenty if you have them around. The 32s are way more then needed and the 64s I have are really wasted but that's what I had available at the time. The only thing I have installed on them is the main system and of course backups from prior updates. Everything else is installed on the hard drives.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No.

DataKeeper

Patron
4 Year Update: System has been running for nearly 4 years now.. WOW! I replaced 1 drive 1.5 years ago and just replaced a 2nd drive last night due to occasional "unreadable sector" errors. I cant be bothered testing drives.. if its causing an error/issue I simply replace it. Running a re-sliver now.. Progress: 12.13% / Scan: 5.88T out of 48.5T .

System has been running without issues and muchly without any supervision. It is installed and running in a climate controlled IT room in my home basement which is fully below grade. Still running FreeNAS-9.3 and p16 driver.. yes, I detest upgrades. I am planning to update the firmware soon and upgrade though I haven't looked at the new interface yet. System is usually running around 21*C, WD Red Drives all run between 22-28*C, CPU is usually between 35-40*C and RAM modules are 29-32*C.

Storage is at about 65% currently with approximately 462,147 video / audio files and 1,218,947 image files, though I expect to see a 25-30% reduction of video and audio over the next month. There are 29 users in total with some type of access and storage, mainly via Plex. While I don't monitor account usage often, there are usually 3 or 4 video streams on the go, 5+ audio streams at any given time, photo images are constantly being uploaded and there are 2 virtual Linux systems a buddy uses for development and compiling code almost daily. All accounts belong to personal friends or family members.

I've been extremely happy with this setup! Its stability, reliability and speed of the hardware and software has surpassed my expectations. I'll be expanding to fill the remaining 6 drive bays soon. Currently debating just adding 6 x 4TB WD Red drives which are fairly inexpensive or stepping up to the 8TB drives, migrating data and retiring some 4TB drives at this point in there lives but ouch they're still pricey.

Thanks to iXsystems and all those who help FreeNAS! :)

DataKeeper

Patron
Migrating over to 18 new 8TB RED drives plus 6 new ones which will be maxing out the case with 24. The build has been absolutely rock solid since day one. I had a drive last month start to give smart errors with Raw_Read_Error_Rate being 114 and Reallocated_Sector_Ct being 566 making this just the 3rd RED drive in nearly 5 years to give errors. The case, PSUs, CPU, cooler, mainboard, 2 Sata DOMs, ram, controller, etc have all been excellent choices. The CPU while being a bit overkill has and continues to perform amazingly well. I've always maintained that spending a bit more on a CPU is a good investment.

I'm Still running FreeNAS-9.3 :rolleyes: as I detest software upgrades unless required and new features aren't required.

Side note.. my Supermicro C2758 A1SRI-2758F mainboard used for a pfSense firewall I build back in '15 at the same time just died from the C2000 Intel defect a couple months ago. I was short on time due to an upcoming trip so just ordered a new replacement to get things back up and running but on return contacted Supermicro who after nearly 5 years of use RMAed the board and provided me with a new replacement for free. :p