Hardware Recommendations (2022)

Nasb Klamb

Dabbler
My current NAS is old and full, so I'm planning to build a new server, but I am going in circles trying to decide on the motherboard and cpu.

This server needs more than 20T of usable disk storage, and it will run many jails and some vms; it is a storage/media/app server for our house.

I'm looking for a xeon/ecc motherboard, 64G+ RAM, and 6+ SATA ports, configured with RAIDZ2.

From what I've read online, Supermicro and ASRock are very reliable. The Supermicro X12SCA-5F looks reasonable, but very expensive.

I'm curious what others suggest.

Etorix

Wizard
X12 is too recent to be on a 'recommended' list.
Cautious users would still go for X11. Depending on your budget and your CPU requirements, you may consider Xeon W-2000 or Xeon Scalable, possibly second-hand, paired with lots of cheap second-hand RDIMM RAM

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
X12 should be fine, but pricing and availability sucks. X13 is still bleeding edge and I would not recommend it at this stage. Probably wait for TrueNAS 13 before jumping into X13.

Nasb Klamb

Dabbler
Thanks Etorix, Redcoat and Ericloewe. I should have asked much sooner for advice. I should be happier with what I have.

I'm thinking my system seems old (X10SRL-F), but the real problem is I need to upgrade the storage, and I'm glad for ZFS. I can replace drives and reconsider mobos later, maybe in a year or so.