What to do with 1TB SSD?

Berkyjay

Contributor
When putting together my new rig I got a deal on a 1TB SSD NVMe and was planning on putting the OS on it rather than using a thumb drive. But that disk will be so under utilized with just that. The rig is mainly going to be used as a Plex server and I'd like to do everything I can to optimize the performance for that. I've read that you can set up a cache to help support playback, but I'm not 100% on that. So I was looking for suggestions on how else to use this SSD.
  • Motherboard: Supermicro X12SCA-5F
  • Ram: 64Gb x 4 ECC 3200mhz DDR4
  • CPU: Intel Xeon W-1370
  • Storage: 6x HDD of 20TB WD Red

NugentS

MVP
Sell it on ebay and buy a more appropriate one for booting off.

Or buy a second 1TB and use on of the slower slots for that. Mirror and you have a 1TB mirror for your jails / apps

Etorix

Wizard
  • Use in a desktop computer.
  • Use as NAS boot drive anyway. (If you got it for cheap, just ignore that it's massively oversized.)
  • Use for apps/jails/VMs (mirrored, or even as single drive vdev if it is acceptable to recreate anew or restore from backup on the HDD pool in the event of a failure).
There are many possibilities. But please resist the temptation to partition it into a small boot partition and a larger partition for apps: This is an unsupported configuration and will be a pain to maintain/repair.
And beware of using USB thumb drives to boot (insufficient endurance).

Berkyjay

Contributor
Sell it on ebay and buy a more appropriate one for booting off.

Or buy a second 1TB and use on of the slower slots for that. Mirror and you have a 1TB mirror for your jails / apps
I'm just returning it and buying a 250GB stick. Save myself $50.

Thx

Berkyjay

Contributor
  • Use in a desktop computer.
  • Use as NAS boot drive anyway. (If you got it for cheap, just ignore that it's massively oversized.)
  • Use for apps/jails/VMs (mirrored, or even as single drive vdev if it is acceptable to recreate anew or restore from backup on the HDD pool in the event of a failure).
There are many possibilities. But please resist the temptation to partition it into a small boot partition and a larger partition for apps: This is an unsupported configuration and will be a pain to maintain/repair.
And beware of using USB thumb drives to boot (insufficient endurance).
I decided to just return it and buy a smaller stick.