Hardware Passthrough in TrueNAS-SCALE-21.06-BETA.1

hhinma

Cadet
What is the status of hardware passthrough support for docker containers in SCALE? Specifically, I have an application that runs in a simple docker container that needs access to a USB device (a Tensor Processor) and processor-specific video acceleration (intel Quicksync) that is required for ffmpeg decoding of a video stream.

I am trying to determine if this scenario is going to fly with SCALE, since I also have a requirement for NAS and wanted to combine the two if possible when procuring some new hardware.

In terms of docker-compose, the constructs used in my application are as follows

Code:
    devices:
      - /dev/bus/usb:/dev/bus/usb
      - /dev/dri/renderD128 

Is this something that I am going to be able to get working in the current version or am I wasting my time? I did try playing around doing this with a quick TrueNAS SCALE install in a virtual environment (yes, I know...) but based on previous experience this particular combination is a crapshoot for the hardware passthrough - sometimes it works, sometimes it does not - but did not have any success. I wanted to get opinions on whether this should work, and if so if there is anything in particular I need to do to get it working.

The USB passthrough is a show stopper for my proposed environment, so I wanted to determine if I should expend any further effort trying to get it working.

ornias

Wizard
Should work with TrueCharts for both GPU's and USB devices and most likely also with the Official Apps for GPU's.