Hardware configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBos

Dabbler
Hiya,

I 'm pretty new to Freenas and i have picked my hardware list.
I really could use your input on this, just wanna make sure that i'm getting it right from the beginning.
MB: ASROCK E3C226D2I
CPU: Intel Pentium G3260
Mem: Kingston 2x8 ECC DDR-3 Ram
Case: Silverstone SST-DS380B
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF 450W
HD: 6 X Seagate 3TB NAS Disk, or 6x4Tb Seagate NAS

Function is going to be simple as a file server, so i think a RAIDZ would do the trick for me.
I would stream the music and movies to max 3 tv's, so i guess there would not be a heavy load on cpu there.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Two things you have on this that we don't recommend:

• Most of us (like 90% of us) strongly recommend that you use no drive with the word "Seagate" on it. Our go-to drives are WD red, and HGST NAS.
  • NONE of us (like 100% of us, literally) would recommend RAID-Z with a six-drive pool. A six-drive pool should be RAID-Z2. Definitely.
Other than that, if you're certain your RAM has the proper specs for this board, then that seems very reasonable.

WBos

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply.
I ment RAID-Z2

Why WD and not Seagate, as i searched the net about it, it seems to be like more like a flavour taste, some have bad experiances with WD and other with Seagate.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
At the moment, Seagate is the one having serious reliability issues. Their 3TB drives have a failure rate greater than Chinese pocket lights, or Chinese USB novelty items, or Chinese watches, or Chinese "External Hard Drives" (the ones that are actually weighted 128MB flash drives with firmware hacked to loop over the 128MB while nominally presenting gigabytes to the OS), or Chinese garage door remotes, ...

WBos

Dabbler
Thanks for it.
As i noticed in the other reply, and i'm not going to defend Seagate, is that the issue occurs with modelnumber ST3000DM001, and i was looking at modelnumber:ST3000VN0001.

What i did read is that the WD are a little bit quiter, and faster but in overal there is not much difference.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Not trying to dissuade you (okay maybe a little); but more along the lines of providing the advice I deem as "best". In the end, it is totally your choice as to what hardware you wish to use. Eventually, I may even end up buying some Seagates; since they bought Samsung and I have been looking at the "Samsung Seagate Momentus SpinPoint ST2000LM003".

Still others prefer to run multiple drives from different vendors in an effort to protect from any potential issues with a particular vendor.

With that being said, if/when (I am leaning more towards "when" :) ) you have issues; don't be too surprised if someone says "Yep... It was Seagate..." ;)

Yatti420

Wizard
We shouldn't be spreading hate about drive companies.. Let's face it they all makem as cheap as possible..

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

WBos

Dabbler
That i will believe, as a manufacturer i dont think you want a bad name.
Every manufacturer has a bad batch, look at the car industry :)

So in the end, it comes on, what do you like and how about a bit more redundancy build in

WBos

Dabbler
Just another question, is it save to use Highpoint Rocket 620 SATA controller to gain additional 2 ports for creating a 8-drive pool? I want to maximize the 8-"hot"swap bays in the case.
According to the Highpoint site, it has native support in FreeBSD, so I assume that it would be save.
But, on the other site, creating a pool accross two "different" controllers?

Any thoughts on this?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
But, on the other site, creating a pool accross two "different" controllers?
That's not a problem, as amply documented. However...

Highpoint Rocket 620
... This is. Highpoint controllers of all sorts are not known for their painless nature around here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.