New Denverton Build - Looking for feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbmpilot

Cadet
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

I have the new Supermicro A2SDi-H-TP4F board installed in a SilverStone DS380B case, with 450W SilverStone ST45SF-V3 SFX power supply.

I'm considering the following drives in one RaidZ3 pool:

4x Seagate IronWolf Pro ST6000NE0021 6TB
4x WD Red Pro 6TB NAS Hard Disk Drive
1x Intel Optane SSD 900P (280GB, AIC PCIe 3.0 x4, 20nm, 3D XPoint) SLOG

I have not purchased memory yet. It's very expensive but considering 4x Hynix HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH 32GB ECC Reg Memory (128gb total).

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this build. Planned uses are to migrate my business data storage from AWS/Dropbox, business and home device backups, home media server, and MineCraft server for the kids/virtual friends.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
4x Seagate IronWolf Pro ST6000NE0021 6TB
4x WD Red Pro 6TB NAS Hard Disk Drive
I don't know why you are mixing drives. My suggestion would be to buy the 8 you want to use and a couple spares for when you have a failure and run the pool in RAID-z2. Unless the system will not be monitored at all, there is no reason why a failed drive could not be replaced instead of having to have 3 parity drives.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this build.
PS. I have a 60 drive server at work filled with the WD Red Pro drives and I have had to replace three of them in the past 11 months. Just because you buy a costly drive, that doesn't mean it will be problem free.

tbmpilot

Cadet
I don't know why you are mixing drives. My suggestion would be to buy the 8 you want to use and a couple spares for when you have a failure and run the pool in RAID-z2. Unless the system will not be monitored at all, there is no reason why a failed drive could not be replaced instead of having to have 3 parity drives.
Great. Thanks very much.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
With that workload, you do not need an SLOG.

johnp4

Dabbler
You'll need to use FreeNAS 11.1 to get driver support for the networking chips. (Current release is RC3, so maybe stable enough depending on how foolhardy you are.)

128GB of RAM is probably overkill. You could get two stick and have room to expand later.

Why do you say that RAM is expensive? By my judgment, I'd say it's actually rather cheap. Only $11.25/GB for 2400MHz ECC.

Status
Not open for further replies.