Hardware Check/Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I recently added 10GbE to my home. My setup was for three desktops and my FreeNAS server, so I needed
a total of four ports. For about $680 I picked up two used Dell N2024 switches and two new stacking cables
off eBay and I could not be happier with the outcome.
During my research for this project I read the 10 Gigabit Primer stickied post by @jgreco and was given
what I considered to be a stellar piece of advice he offered before making my purchases.

Last thought, stay away from the *older* cards like the single port Chelsio S310E-CR,
they were a disappointment...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hey, that's awesome. Any problems with the N2024's? My memory says they're just a new generation 5524-style switch but without the stupid HDMI. I'd been meaning to add them to the 10G primer anyways.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I placed both units in default config. and they have just plain worked
without issue. You were right about the stacking cables, "stupid simple".

The managment GUI is really nice and the manuals are well written.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, once you get use to managed switches, you kinda hate to go back. ;-) The GUI's on those things aren't that great, it's actually the CLI that you're after.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Yeah, once you get use to managed switches, you kinda hate to go back. ;-) The GUI's on those things aren't that great, it's actually the CLI that you're after.
Admittedly I am a major *managed switch noob* so I guess I'm just impressed with the shear number of bells and switches in the GUI.
For those who have yet to see something like this, take a look...
switchtree1.png

switchtree2.png

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The big ones have maybe a dozen more options at the second tier for things like routing protocols, etc. It is so cool that even a relatively inexpensive switch like these has so much capability. If you learn your way around that, and then ever need to move on to something bigger like the 10G switches, you'll feel right at home.

I recently added 10GbE to my home. My setup was for three desktops and my FreeNAS server, so I needed
a total of four ports. For about $680 I picked up two used Dell N2024 switches and two new stacking cables
During my research for this project I read the 10 Gigabit Primer stickied post by @jgreco and was given
what I considered to be a stellar piece of advice he offered before making my purchases.

Last thought, stay away from the *older* cards like the single port Chelsio S310E-CR,

Thanks for the recommendations. I see what the knock is on the x1052 and expanding later. At that point, if I ever do plan to expand, I might as well have gone and got a Netgear XS708E since it would be cheaper than trying to grab another X1052.

I think I may end up going that route, while overkill without a doubt, it does seem to be the cheapest solution in the long if expanding is concerned. Any one have any experience with the NG switch?

Thinking about going with the Intel X540-T2 since for what ever reason it appears to be cheaper than the T1 at the moment on Ebay.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Thanks for the recommendations. I see what the knock is on the x1052 and expanding later. At that point, if I ever do plan to expand, I might as well have gone and got a Netgear XS708E since it would be cheaper than trying to grab another X1052.

I think I may end up going that route, while overkill without a doubt, it does seem to be the cheapest solution in the long if expanding is concerned. Any one have any experience with the NG switch?

Thinking about going with the Intel X540-T2 since for what ever reason it appears to be cheaper than the T1 at the moment on Ebay.
One caution;
I'd like to remind you of jgreco's warning about verification of the yottamark sticker for the X5xx cards.
I don't know if the 10Gb copper cards suffer from the same risk of fake cards as the fiber type models though...

Rand

Guru
I might as well have gone and got a Netgear XS708E since it would be cheaper than trying to grab another X1052.

Yep. Needs windows software to manage, quite limited in its settings, but sufficient to get 10G going. Performs well enough in SoHo.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's pathetic that in an era where even a cheap sub-$100 switch can have a Web GUI that they'd choose to lobotomize a switch in that manner.

One caution;
I'd like to remind you of jgreco's warning about verification of the yottamark sticker for the X5xx cards.
I don't know if the 10Gb copper cards suffer from the same risk of fake cards as the fiber type models though...

I saw that in the primer. Something to keep an eye out for sure. Still not entirely sure the route I'm going to take, but I am looking into what you recommended earlier. Interesting how this has turned into a discussion about 10G networking.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Interesting how this has turned into a discussion about 10G networking.
If the computer you are about to build was a race car, it would be a shame to limit it to driving on a golf cart (1GbE) path.;)

I am curious why you abandon the dell x1052 option ? It has 4x10Gb SFP in single switch and could be found for $400. Instead you bought 2 switches for $680 then stack them to get same 4x10Gb ports ?!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I am curious why you abandon the dell x1052 option ? It has 4x10Gb SFP in single switch and could be found for $400. Instead you bought 2 switches for $680 then stack them to get same 4x10Gb ports ?!
I was just trying to purchase equipment that would be more likely to retain resale value (i.e. fewer ports), see quoted advice given by jgreco below.

2) The smaller units have some benefits in that they recycle (i.e. eBay) more easily. 24 port switches are often workgroup-class aggregation switches and are suitable to home users, etc. 48 port switches can be in less demand, and so harder to sell at a good price.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I was just trying to purchase equipment that would be more likely to retain resale value (i.e. fewer ports), see quoted advice given by jgreco below.

Plus you can get to six 10G ports more easily/cheaply, I'd bet.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Plus you can get to six 10G ports more easily/cheaply, I'd bet.
That's a sucker bet! You would need three switches of each model to go with six ports and for every needed expansion of
two ports, the added X1052 switch would;
  • Cost more
  • Produce more heat
  • Use more watts

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That's a sucker bet! You would need three switches of each model to go with six ports and for every needed expansion of
two ports, the added X1052 switch would;
  • Cost more
  • Produce more heat
  • Use more watts

You're trying to make my point for me?

The basic problem with something like the X1052 is that it is a short term win, if you only need 4 ports. But since those same four ports are also what's used for expansion, adding the second unit only gets you six 10G ports, adding a third, only eight. The formula is 2*N+2 where N is the number of switches. For the 5524 or whatever the newer version is, it's strict 2*N where N is the number of switches.

If you had to go to lots more 10G ports without also adding 1G ports, the most practical thing out there is probably the Dell X4012. My wallet keeps wanting to levitate out of my pocket to buy a few of those.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
You're trying to make my point for me?
Yes Sir? :p
I'm extremely happy with my N2024 switches and all their expansion goodness, thanks for the advice ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.