BUILD Please review build; ready to hit BUY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vnas

Dabbler
Hello FreeNAS forum users

I have been scouring these boards for almost a year now, limping along with an old repurposed gaming box, planning my next build. I believe I have my final build list (ignore pool configuration, as they will be changing). If possible, take a look at the build list and make recommendations. Unless I hear back that my configuration has any flaws, I will be purchasing the following hardware:

MB: Super Micro X10SRL-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620 v3
RAM: Samsung 64GB DDR4-2133 (M393A4K40BB0-CPB)
BOOT: 32GB SATADOM (DESMV-32GD06RC1QCF)
POOL1: 4 x 2TB WD Red RAIDZ2
POOL2: 6 x 4TB WD Red RAIDZ2
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 860W (SS-860XP2)
CASE: Nanoxia Deep Silence 6

I considered the X10SRH-CF, but decided the SAS3 was not a good idea, and money would be better spent on a dedicated SAS2 controller (to be added later). Also, I realize the 860W power supply may be a bit overkill, for my immediate needs... I like to oversize and buy things once, and since I "can" eventually fit 20+ drives in this case, I want to have enough power.

Please let me know your thoughts, especially if you have direct experience with the X10SR* board and E5-1620v3... For example, I found examples that the E5-1620v3 DOES NOT officially support LRDIMM memory, even though it is listed as compatible. Therefore, I'm going with 32GB sticks of RDIMM, to eventually max out at 256GB.

Cheers!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You list 10 hard drives + a SATA DOM. That board has 10 SATA connectors. By my math, your 1 SATA connector short.

vnas

Dabbler
You list 10 hard drives + a SATA DOM. That board has 10 SATA connectors. By my math, your 1 SATA connector short.

Good catch. I assumed that the following: "2x SuperDOM (Disk on Module) ports with built-in power" was in addition to the 10 SATA connectors. I will investigate further.

vnas

Dabbler
Good catch. I assumed that the following: "2x SuperDOM (Disk on Module) ports with built-in power" was in addition to the 10 SATA connectors. I will investigate further.

Hmmm... After actually looking at the board, I don't see additional ports. Maybe they are referring to "built-in power" on two of the ten SATA ports. A bit misleading, if you ask me. Oh well, I'll stick with mirrored USB for boot, until I get the SAS2 controller.

vnas

Dabbler
... Maybe they are referring to "built-in power" on two of the ten SATA ports. ...

Confirmed. They don't mention it with the motherboard specifications... rather on the SuperDOM product page: http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/SATADOM.cfm
"No power cable necessary on Supermicro yellow SATA connector. Additional 5V power connection needed on traditional SATA connector"​

Fuganater

Patron
I have the same board. You will need to pick up at least 1x HBA with 2x SFF 8087 - SATA breakout cables. I reccomend the LSI 9211-8i.

vnas

Dabbler
I have the same board. You will need to pick up at least 1x HBA with 2x SFF 8087 - SATA breakout cables. I reccomend the LSI 9211-8i.

I was hoping to use the ten onboard SATAs, for now... until I'm ready to fill up the case; 20+ drives. Did you run into problems with the onboard SATA controller? Or are you running more than 10 drives?

Fuganater

Patron
I am using a Supermicro SC846-E1 chassis so I have a 9211-8i connecting to the backplane via SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable. I am not using any of the onboard SATA ports.

vnas

Dabbler
I am using a Supermicro SC846-E1 chassis so I have a 9211-8i connecting to the backplane via SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable. I am not using any of the onboard SATA ports.

I see. That explains it. I'll keep the LSI 9211-8i in mind, when I start shopping for controllers. What CPU and RAM are you running?

Fuganater

Patron
Same CPU as you - E5-1620 V3 and 32GB (2x16GB) of Samsung RAM (M393A2G40DB0-CPB0).

Is there a reason you are using SATADOMs? I am using 2x 16GB Sandisk CurzerFit. If you do that then you will free up those 2 powered SATA ports.

vnas

Dabbler
Is there a reason you are using SATADOMs?
Just wanted to use the satadom for boot disk reliability and bootup/upgrade speed.

I am using 2x 16GB Sandisk CurzerFit. If you do that then you will free up those 2 powered SATA ports.
Agreed. Originally, I misread the motherboard specification... Jailer pointed out my error above. I will be using mirrored usb until I get a controller.

Thank you for your input. Knowing this configuration is working in the wild, I have placed the order.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.