Hardware buzzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

eroji

Contributor
I am currently running on a ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 and I'm having a weird issue with the onboard buzzer keep going off randomly. I am in contact with ASRock support and they're telling me it's other onboard devices triggering the beeps. I can't really confirm or deny this since I don't know of a way to check. However, the onboard IPMI is logging some errors intermittently but they seem to be coming more from the board than anything else. Needless to say, most of the errors are vague as it can get. The server is however running without any issues though. I also looked up ways to disable beeps generated by the OS (hw.syscons.bell=0), which I think may have helped a little. I'm wondering if anyone know if there are any other settings that can be tweaked in the OS that can completely turn off the buzzer.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Cool bro?

What do you want? You should read the forum rules first.

eroji

Contributor
I searched and it seemed like a hardware question? If it's in the wrong place please advise.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Freenas version, hardware and error messages

You get better help of you provide better information.

eroji

Contributor
I'm on 9.3, latest build. I don't have any hardware or error message in FreeNAS.

This is what I'm getting in IPMI event logs.

28 05/29/2015 09:23:44 Unknown OEM Record OEM timestamped
27 05/29/2015 03:13:19 Unknown OEM Record OEM timestamped
26 05/29/2015 03:13:17 Unknown OEM Record OEM timestamped
25 05/29/2015 02:49:52 Unknown OEM Record OEM timestamped
24 05/29/2015 01:35:12 Unknown OEM Record OEM timestamped
23 05/28/2015 06:32:04 Unknown OEM Record OEM timestamped
22 05/28/2015 03:58:33 Unknown OEM Record OEM timestamped
21 05/28/2015 03:56:09 Unknown System Event System Reconfigured,OEM System Boot Event,Undetermined System Hardware Failure,Entry Added to Auxiliary Log,PEF Action - Asserted
20 05/28/2015 03:56:09 Unknown System Event System Reconfigured,OEM System Boot Event,Undetermined System Hardware Failure,Entry Added to Auxiliary Log,PEF Action - Asserted
19 Pre-init Timestamp Unknown System Event System Reconfigured,OEM System Boot Event,Undetermined System Hardware Failure,Entry Added to Auxiliary Log,PEF Action - Asserted
18 Pre-init Timestamp Unknown System Event System Reconfigured,OEM System Boot Event,Undetermined System Hardware Failure,Entry Added to Auxiliary Log,PEF Action - Asserted

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
again what is your hardware? something is wrong with it and you should fix it.

eroji

Contributor
ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16, 2x E5 2630L, 64GB Hynix DDR3 ECC, Seasonic SS-600H2U, 2x M1015, Intel 750 400GB, Intel X520-DA.

Again, the system is working fine. I'm not seeing any errors that's out of norm in FreeNAS. IPMI is logging some vague events. This is purely a question if FreeNAS has any sort of control over the onboard hardware buzzer.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sure it theoretically has control over it, but last I checked it doesn't actually have driver support for anything like that, so it can't actually do anything.

If you're getting "Undetermined System Hardware Failure" in the IPMI logs, I'd guess the BMC is asserting the buzzer to let you identify that there's a problem. I'd let ASRock comment on that error for a better idea of whether or not my guess is correct.

eroji

Contributor
Ok, that's sorta what I figured. Wanted to get some confirmation on it before I push harder on their Support end to come up with a fix. It's not a huge issue right now except a nuisance.

Thanks!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, it could actually be indicative of a "huge issue". It may be an onboard device signalling a problem, but if so, I'd say onboard devices are ASRock's issue to support. At least have them explain the IPMI message.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, it could actually be indicative of a "huge issue". It may be an onboard device signalling a problem, but if so, I'd say onboard devices are ASRock's issue to support. At least have them explain the IPMI message.

And explain why their errors are so generic and useless.

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I confirm that FreeNAS 9.3 has 0.00 % of buzzer/speaker support because I searched for a long time how to do a simple beep with a command and despite 5 or 6 different solutions I just can't do it, everything is disabled at the kernel level.

If your MB beep then it's not FreeNAS.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Yeah, I would say you cannot ignore asserts in the IPMI log. Something serious is more than likely wrong.

Also, that board looks like it has 4xMarvell in addition to the 10 regular ports. Don't use the Marvell ports :)

rogerh

Guru
I would removing everything from the motherboard, including front panel connections (use ipmi or a screwdriver to start it), except one ram stick and one cpu and see if it still does it, and if so whether it still does it with a different cpu and ram. Also preferably different PSU. If it still happens, then the MB is broken and should be replaced. If it doesn't presumably you can add hardware until the problem comes back

Status
Not open for further replies.