Assembled FreeNAS Box... No Video Output. Troubleshooting Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0b0ty

Dabbler
Hello guys.

I just finished my first FreeNAS build and was excited to start the installation... until I hit the power button! I'm hoping that you can give me pointers to aid in troubleshooting.

PROBLEM:
No video on VGA monitor after applying power... thus cannot install FreeNAS!

A little background... I read posts that suggested using inexpensive parts off eBay to use in a 'first build'. This is what I did for all components, except the chassis. I triple checked the compatibility of all components and I'm quite sure that I got it right. So here's what I have:

- Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM-F (claimed to be new / not in original packaging)
- CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 3.3 GHz First Version (used)
- CPU Heatsink/Fan: Supermicro SNK-P0046A4 (used)
- RAM: M391B1G73BH0-CH9 8GB DDR3 1333MHZ ECC 2RX8 - total 16 GB (used)
- PSU: 650W Seasonic SSR-650RM (used)
- Chassis: Thermaltake Core V21 Micro ATX Cube (new)
- Drives: 2 WD Red NAS (new) + 16 GB SSD (used) + 60 GB SSD (used)

Noteworthy observations:
- Onboard VGA chip enabled via jumper
- Monitor works on a different desktop computer
- Memory is fully seated on the two slots required by motherboard (DIMM2A and 2B)
- CPU is mounted in the correct orientation
- Power is getting to the motherboard...
- "Power Standby" LED lights up when PSU is turned on
- Heatsink Fan is operational
- Chassis Fan is operational
- Chassis "Power On" LED light up when power switch is depressed
- Motherboard responds to chassis power switch
- Motherboard responds to chassis reset switch
- Internal buzzer is enabled via jumper, but does not emit any beeps during power up
- Less relevant, but WD Red NAS drives spin
- Cleared CMOS (no effect)
- Replaced Mobo 3V battery (no effect)
- Unplugged everything from motherboard - even heatsink, momentarily - just kept 24-pin ATX main power
and 8-pin CPU power (no effect)
- Lifted Mobo from chassis to rule out short to ground (no effect)

Unfortunately, I only have one CPU and one motherboard, so it's hard to rule out either. Any ideas?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately, I only have one CPU and one motherboard, so it's hard to rule out either. Any ideas?
Carefully remove the CPU and check for bent pins. Also check that the bottom of the CPU is clean. I have seen slightly soiled CPU contacts cause the system to fail and I have seen slightly misaligned socket pins cause problems. Look close. I use a magnifying glass.

r0b0ty

Dabbler
Well, I don't have any good news. Checked for bent pins in the socket (with my magnifying glass) and saw nothing wrong. I checked the underside of the CPU and saw a couple of tiny specks of gray (maybe thermal paste residue?), so I cleaned the CPU with alcohol and it came off easily. Although it didn't seem like much, I was a little hopeful. I reconnected power to the motherboard and the monitor, flipped the switch, and NOTHING. I called Supermicro for help... but they had to open a ticket when the tech was out of ideas. I wish I had a spare CPU laying around to try (the mobo can even take a 2nd Gen i3, Celeron, or Pentium CPUs... but I have none). Let me know if anyone has other ideas. What a bummer! Thanks, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.