Hard drives usage and disk space

RobGoss

Dabbler
Hello everyone, so I just finished getting TrueNas Core installed
After trying to configuring the system and getting things all setup, I was able to login to my files share folder on my PC. I saved a few of my YouTube videos in a folder problem is I don't see that disk space being used up when I look at the system stats

I have 5 hard drives install on my home server total of drive space is 10 TB, are all these drives working as one unit, meaning can I see the 10 TB of drives on my server UI some were. I hope I'm saying this correctly

Thanks everyone

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
when I look at the system stats
Maybe you mean the Dashboard?

You will usually see your pool there with Used % and Free space shown in TB...

Depending on the size of your videos, you may not have "moved the needle" to have 1% used yet.

1% of 10TB is 100GB

Perhaps you're looking for the kind of details you would see under Storage | Pools ?

RobGoss

Dabbler
Hello Sretalla thanks so much for your fast reply, Yes I meant dashboard you are correct
I have five 2-TB drives installed on my home server that means I should be seeing 10-TB of free space correct?
I uploaded a few of my YouTube videos just to see how much space it would use but I'm not seeing the full amount of my installed hard drives on my server. It shows Free space. 5.23 TB and Total Disk 5 (data )

Shouldn't I be seeing 10 - TB of Free space? I did not upload anything except those few videos

Hope I'm explaining this correctly and Thank you so much for your time I attached a screen shot of what I'm seeing in my dash board

Attachments

• Screenshot (118).png
    Screenshot (118).png
    132.2 KB · Views: 666

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What would help us to see the details of your pool would be if you go to the Storage | Pools page, click the cogwheel to the right of the screen on your pool and select Status.

There we will see the pool layout, which I imagine from your description of the hardware and what we see above will show us you selected to have RAIDZ2, which is a perfectly reasonable choice, but gives you only the available storage from 3 of the disks (which is also measured in TiB, so shows as smaller than you see written on the packet, which is TB).

RobGoss

Dabbler
Wow you're are correct sretalla it is RaidZ2 but I believe it choose that for me when setting up the pools. I'm at work right now but will do as suggested as soon as I get to my machines

How would I correct this issue in order to see the full amount of my drives.

Thanks so much

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
In order to use all of your drives' capacity, you would need to run with no redundancy (selecting the Stripe VDEV type when creating the pool... which you would need to re-do to put that change into place).

Be aware that running without redundancy means you will lose access to all of the data on all of the disks (the entire pool) immediately upon losing (through failure or other removal) any one of your 5 disks.

You also won't have the possibility to recover a file that ZFS would detect as corrupt (due to the checksums it keeps for all blocks) even if you can detect that corruption, the disks won't contain any alternate data to rebuild the corrupt data.

If you're fine with that and you just want a bunch of storage that doesn't matter if it's lost and can be re-built from scratch, then great, rebuild your pool and go ahead.

RobGoss

Dabbler
In order to use all of your drives' capacity, you would need to run with no redundancy (selecting the Stripe VDEV type when creating the pool... which you would need to re-do to put that change into place).

Be aware that running without redundancy means you will lose access to all of the data on all of the disks (the entire pool) immediately upon losing (through failure or other removal) any one of your 5 disks.

You also won't have the possibility to recover a file that ZFS would detect as corrupt (due to the checksums it keeps for all blocks) even if you can detect that corruption, the disks won't contain any alternate data to rebuild the corrupt data.

If you're fine with that and you just want a bunch of storage that doesn't matter if it's lost and can be re-built from scratch, then great, rebuild your pool and go ahead.
Sounds good I don't really mind loosing any data on those drives they are all new with nothing really on them except a few videos I uploaded just to try out the system Thank you so much I will try rebuilding my pools as suggested. A big thanks to you for your knowledge on this issue much appreciated

RobGoss

Dabbler
I'm assuming I would have to delete the current pools and add the new one's correct?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I would have to delete the current pools and add the new one's correct?
The official ZFS term is destroy (in case delete didn't sound like enough of a warning).

That way, all of your disks are freed (if you select the option to quick wipe them) to be part of another pool (which you can then create).

RobGoss

Dabbler
The official ZFS term is destroy (in case delete didn't sound like enough of a warning).

That way, all of your disks are freed (if you select the option to quick wipe them) to be part of another pool (which you can then create).
So instead of deleting them are you saying I'll have a option to quick wipe them?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You get to destroying a pool via the Export/Disconnect option from the cogwheel.

1661866393667.png

If you select the option to destroy the data, the disks will be wiped.

I'm sure there was an option in a previous version to select if that wipe would be a full erase/overwrite or a quick one, but seems no more.

RobGoss

Dabbler
You get to destroying a pool via the Export/Disconnect option from the cogwheel.

View attachment 58067

If you select the option to destroy the data, the disks will be wiped.

I'm sure there was an option in a previous version to select if that wipe would be a full erase/overwrite or a quick one, but seems no more.
Thank you much for your help its much appreciated I will look into it

RobGoss

Dabbler

When I tried using the Stripe VDEV type
this is the message I am getting see the attached image below

Attachments

• Screenshot (119).png
    Screenshot (119).png
    100.5 KB · Views: 667

sretalla