Hangs at pci1: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malita

Cadet
I'm trying to install FreeNas (64 bit) on a HP HPE-130F system that I had lying around. I recently bought a WD Red drive for storage. No other drives or OS installed.

At first, I was stuck with it no recognizing me trying to boot from USB or CD. But I solved that by changing my SATA mode to AHCI.

Now this....

I've been Google'n and searching this forum, but no luck on finding a solution. I did find some hints that something might be wrong with the PCI slots or whats attached to it, so I removed the Hauppauge video card as well as the wireless network card (since wireless is not compatible with FreeNas).

But still no success.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Update on hardware:

MB: H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945
RAM: 8GB (Kingston) 2 x 4
Video: NVDIA GeForce GT220

HD: WD Red 2Tb

ACPI_Hang.jpg

D

dlavigne

Any luck with this? Looks like there is either a piece of hardware or some BIOS setting that the OS does not like.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hey! I see my profile pict in there. ;)

Malita

Cadet
Oooook, I guess.

I'm just disappointed that the only advice giving was to "give up". Instead of giving actual "helpful" advice for someone trying to use your software, I'm being told to give up. Yea, FreeNas is free, but your reputation should be worth more than the advice I was giving (none) for my first time on the forum and a user of the system.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, if you read our stickies we already provide lots of info. Most of that info includes things like "AMD based boards aren't always compatible with FreeBSD" and "OEM hardware is very hit and miss". Nothing I told you isn't already in this forum in at least 100 different places already.

AMD doesn't spend much money on developers for FreeBSD support, so that's somewhat expected.

OEMs are usually selling stuff that is everything else *but* FreeBSD, so that's somewhat expected too.

This really shouldn't be too shocking for you at all if you've tried searching around the forums...

Even if you ignore both of those you have other limitations:

1. Realtek NIC: Not recommended around here in the slightest. Good chance it won't work with FreeNAS.
2. Onboard Audio: Not recommended around here in the slightest. More hardware that can cause the system to not work right.
3. Uses non-ECC RAM: Not recommended around here, but very much a personal choice/risk.
4. 16GB of RAM max: Eh.. not ideal but not necessarily terrible.
5. I can't even figure out what SATA chipset it is or isn't using, so I can't even tell you if any of your SATA ports will work or not.

Overall, even if it worked, it's not something we'd ever recommend anyway. So I don't consider it a big loss that the hardware decided for you that it won't work.

Around here, you pretty much buy the right stuff(and it works out of the box), or you buy/reuse whatever you have and you'll end up on an island stuck troubleshooting any/all problems on your own. I don't have your hardware so I can't really provide any troubleshooting assistance. I abhor AMD on FreeNAS. It's just not a good fit at all. Some people do it, but far more people get Intel to work than AMD.

That's all the logic that went through my head before I distilled it down to "I would just give up on that hardware if I were you". It wasn't a 5 second thing. I actually put a lot of thought into it.

Malita

Cadet
With all these "statistics" you want to mention, I wonder how many people are actually using a HP machine that didn't give up. One of the videos that I watched a couple times that FreeNas has advertised on the site is to use any old computer you having lying around. But yet, there are a hardware recommendations/requirements that is preferred. You have in you noob slides that just on a few components, you spent upwards of $700? Why would the average user want to shell out $700?! For all that, we could simply go buy a NAS for way less with proprietary software and be just as happy. But myself, as well as 6mil +, decided on a DIY project.

So my point is, aside from all that copy/pasting about what will work and not, is the advice giving to me sound like a 5 sec thought with no explanation why......until is was posted on the forums.

And yet, never asked how it was resolved just in case someone else with a HP computer running AMD runs into the issue.

Anyway...

If anyone stumbles across this problem, please PM. I can assist.

Nick2253

Wizard
If you really fixed the problem, then please share that with us. You could help someone else, and this will be one fewer thread that ends with a simple "Nvm, I figured it out".

As far as the hardware advice goes: yes, FreeNAS is a DIY project. But just being DIY doesn't automatically mean that it's cheap. An airplane kit is DIY, but you don't skimp by using spare lumber cuttings.

If your goal is low cost, then FreeNAS might not be the project for you. Running that old computer with Windows, or even Linux+SAMBA, is probably the right path. And you'd basically get the same feature-set as a proprietary set-box NAS, minus the web interface. But FreeNAS is truly enterprise-class software, which means there's an expectation of enterprise-class hardware. ZFS isn't a playground, and too many people look at it as an easy button to make their data safe.

Sure, you can run FreeNAS on old hardware, or an OEM machine, but you have to understand that asking for help on that hardware is really the equivalent of asking an airplane-kit forum how to maximize those lumber scraps. Sure, it *could* work, but the effort you'd put into it would completely run counter to your end goal: building a plane that *flies.* If you really only want a model, then you're looking at the wrong project.

krikboh

Patron
With all these "statistics" you want to mention, I wonder how many people are actually using a HP machine that didn't give up. One of the videos that I watched a couple times that FreeNas has advertised on the site is to use any old computer you having lying around. But yet, there are a hardware recommendations/requirements that is preferred. You have in you noob slides that just on a few components, you spent upwards of $700? Why would the average user want to shell out $700?! For all that, we could simply go buy a NAS for way less with proprietary software and be just as happy. But myself, as well as 6mil +, decided on a DIY project.

Are you sure the video using FreeNAS on any old computer was linked from the FreeNAS site? Those videos are normally referring to the old FreeNAS project which is now the NAS4Free project.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I got this exact error this evening, upgrading 9.2.1.9 to 9.3
Brand new 9.2.1.9 "burnt" key - all I'd done was import my volume and settings, rebooted and tested 9.2.1.9 was fine (it was)
Performed upgrade - got the error the Op is claiming here, had to make myself a fresh 9.3 key instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.