GUI support for SAS and FC multipath hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theooze

Cadet
In the 8.2 release notes i see the statement 'GUI support for SAS and FC multipath hardware.' Can someone explain specifically what this means and where in the GUI I might find this ? I'm using 8.3.0 and I don't see anything related to fibre channel setup - was this something only in the 8.2 release ?

Also - does FreeNAS support the QLogic QLE2462? FreeBSD seems to have support from this from my googling. If FreeNAS does not ship w/ these drivers, can they be manually added/loaded ?

MarcusXP

Dabbler
I'm also interested in this... have you found out where this module is located in the GUI?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm pretty sure there's a section in the manual that can help you out if you do a quick search...

MarcusXP

Dabbler
Did you guys try opening up the manual and searching for the word "multipath"? I did it and instantly found results....

I am talking about presenting volumes over FibreChannel. I am not particularly interested in multipathing, but I need to know if it is possible to share the volumes on FiberChannel but I could find nothing in the GUI about it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
To the best of my knowledge, FreeNAS is a network attached storage server, not a fiber channel storage server . I think the support you saw may be support to allow a FC array to be used as storage for FreeNAS to serve up, just like you can attach a SAS array.

theooze

Cadet
Listen to @cyberjock and RTFM!!!!!!
He literally just gave you the keyword and probably took his time to look it up just to make sure it was right.

Yes it's NOW supported. I have two of them. Works fine in 9.3.
9.3!
9.3!
9.3! 9.3! 9.3!
9.3!
9.3!

^ click the link, you're welcome.

Yes - I did search the 8.2 and 8.3 manuals - the only multipath references there are for accessing local storage via multipath devices, not presenting multipath storage via FC as a target, which is what I and the other people were asking about. Since I posted about five months prior to when the thread you referenced was created, it would have been pretty impossible to find that. And even that post started out saying FC isn't supported and listed a number of steps to hack it in.

It looks like target mode *works* in 9.3 but doesn't seem to be officially supported per the 'easter egg' note here: http://www.freenas.org/whats-new/ "Fiber initiator mode works out of the box, and the “easter egg” to enable Target mode is well documented and tested." Not sure what 'well documented' means as there is nary a reference in the official docs about setting it up - the only result in the docs for 'fiber' is here: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_sharing.html?highlight=fibre - so I'm assuming it means the steps listed in the thread you referenced about enabling target mode.

aran kaspar

Explorer
Yes - I did search the 8.2 and 8.3 manuals - the only multipath references there are for accessing local storage via multipath devices, not presenting multipath storage via FC as a target, which is what I and the other people were asking about. Since I posted about five months prior to when the thread you referenced was created, it would have been pretty impossible to find that. And even that post started out saying FC isn't supported and listed a number of steps to hack it in.

It looks like target mode *works* in 9.3 but doesn't seem to be officially supported per the 'easter egg' note here: http://www.freenas.org/whats-new/ "Fiber initiator mode works out of the box, and the “easter egg” to enable Target mode is well documented and tested." Not sure what 'well documented' means as there is nary a reference in the official docs about setting it up - the only result in the docs for 'fiber' is here: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_sharing.html?highlight=fibre - so I'm assuming it means the steps listed in the thread you referenced about enabling target mode.

Go buy a SAN.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.