GUI displays wrong disk temperatures

AMiGAmann

Contributor
Hi,

I am running a new built with a fresh install of TrueNAS SCALE 23.10.2. My main pool is using Seagate Exos X20 20TB disks. I just recognized, that the temperatures displayed in the GUI (Reporting / Disk / Disk Temperature) are wrong.

When checking the temperatures with smartctl -a /dev/sda Airflow_Temperature_Cel and Temperature_Celsius are showing:
sda 35°C sdb 33°C sdc 34°C sdd 34°C sde 33°C sdf 34°C sdg 35°C sdh 33°C

When checking the temperatures in GUI, the following values are shown:
sda 23°C sdb 22°C sdc 23°C sdd 23°C sde 22°C sdf 22°C sdg 23°C sdh 23°C

I am quite sure that the temperatures displayed by smartctl are more realistic.

Is this a bug in current SCALE version?

Edit: And it is very confusing that the disks seem not to be sorted in the GUI view. The disks are displayed from top to bottom: nvme0n1, nvme1n1, nvme2n1, sdb, sdc, sdd, sde, sdh, sda, sdf, sdg. What is the sort criteria in that view?

Best regards,
AMiGAmann

Last edited:

AMiGAmann

Contributor
So weird behaviour... now that the server is nearly 2 hours up, the temperatures in GUI are correct.

At some point the temperature jumped from 23 °C to 35 °C...
temp.png

Can't really explain this...

AMiGAmann

Contributor
Even more weird. After doing a fresh install of the same SCALE version with the same harddisk, the GUI now displays no more temperatures at all for the harddisks. Temperatures of the SSDs are shown, but not for the Seagate Exos X20 20TB disks. smartctl -a /dev/sda displays valid temperatures in attributes 190 and 194.

It might be the same problem as mentioned in this thread.

Looks like this is a bug in current Cobia-version? Are bugs still fixed in Cobia or is currently all the energy put in Dragonfish train?

Best regards,
AMiGAmann