Trouble mounting NTFS - unknown filesystem type 'NTFS3'

gyfer

Dabbler
I was able to mount NTFS without issue with TrueNAS-SCALE-22.x.x
but since I upgraded to TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1 , I can no longer able to mount my NTFS drive.

admin@8888[/]$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 2G 0 part
│ └─md126 9:126 0 2G 0 raid1
│ └─md126 253:0 0 2G 0 crypt [SWAP]
└─sda2 8:2 0 463.8G 0 part
sdb 8:16 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sdb1 8:17 0 2G 0 part
│ └─md127 9:127 0 2G 0 raid1
│ └─md127 253:1 0 2G 0 crypt [SWAP]
└─sdb2 8:18 0 463.8G 0 part
sdc 8:32 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sdc1 8:33 0 2G 0 part
│ └─md126 9:126 0 2G 0 raid1
│ └─md126 253:0 0 2G 0 crypt [SWAP]
└─sdc2 8:34 0 463.8G 0 part
sdd 8:48 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sdd1 8:49 0 2G 0 part
│ └─md127 9:127 0 2G 0 raid1
│ └─md127 253:1 0 2G 0 crypt [SWAP]
└─sdd2 8:50 0 463.8G 0 part
sde 8:64 0 1.8T 0 disk
└─sde1 8:65 0 1.8T 0 part
sdf 8:80 0 698.6G 0 disk
└─sdf1 8:81 0 698.6G 0 part /mnt/pool1/sdf
sdg 8:96 1 28.9G 0 disk
├─sdg1 8:97 1 1M 0 part
├─sdg2 8:98 1 512M 0 part
└─sdg3 8:99 1 28.4G 0 part

admin@8888[/]$ sudo mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/pool1/sde
mount: /mnt/pool1/sde: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs3'.
dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.
admin@8888[/]$

neither I can install ntfs-3g utilities through apt install, or dpkg install
I need help to mount my drive. Thanks

Arwen

MVP
Mounting foreign file systems has been problematic with TrueNAS SCALE. If I understand it correctly, they are removing that possibility.

Further, installing programs and such tools is also problematic. TrueNAS SCALE, (and Core), are designed as appliance firmware, not a general purpose OS. If it does not have a feature you need, then you can see if it is something they will add. Or, if not, find some other way to perform the task.

Now iX is looking to add developer mode in to SCALE, which may include what you want. Or the ability to add it. But, if you run across a bug that you want to report, you will have to re-create the bug on a clean, non-developer SCALE system to prove it is not something caused by the developer mode. (Or what you may have added.) How to enable developer mode is something I don't have handy.

As I have said else where, their is no one true NAS to rule them all.

See this Resource for some clarity of what SCALE is and is not;

gyfer

Dabbler
Arwen, thank you for your reply. As a FreeNAS/TrueNAS user for more than a decade, I understand iX's approach in trying to keep both Core and Scale base OS as 'original' as possible. From a DevOps point of view, this is crucial as it simplifies system maintenance, support, and security. In my opinion, this approach is outdated. Take GPUs, for example. Making GPU work in TrueNAS Core is something not recomended ( but not impossible ) even though some basic software like FFMPEG can have a huge performance boost with QuickSync or NVENC.

From the table I attached earlier, if you look at the device sdf, /dev/sdf1 is mounted to /mnt/pool1/sdf. I can mount this drive without issue because it is in ext4 format, not NTFS like /dev/sde1. If we follow what you said earlier about 'removing that possibility,' I should not be able to mount an ext4 drive as well. But this is not the case. Without mounting the drive in the system OS, I cannot mount it in containers or helm. If mounting a foreign drive is not possible, then iX should have removed access to the mount command, just like apt and dpkg.

Three years ago, a PC with more than 8GB RAM and onboard graphics could easily satisfy me. Today, I am actively seeking multiple RTX GPUs and cheaper RAM. Thanks to WSL2 and WSA, I can now run Windows, Linux, and Android on the same platform simultaneously. As the demand for AI increases, it would be just a matter of time before iX adds GPU support to TrueNAS Core to utilize accelerators like CUDA, ROCm, and OneAPI.

If there is no one true NAS to rule them all, then it should not be a rule at all. :smile:

Arwen

MVP
I don't have the details of what foreign file systems will be available, or how. I just remember reading that their was going to be a change. And I don't know when that change is going to be made.

It would probably not be possible to remove the mount command because their are other file systems internal to Linux OS that need mounting. For example;
/proc /sys /dev

About 20 years ago, various OSes, like Solaris, started visualizing some OS file systems. Linux and other Open Source OSes also made the change about the same time. (I am not implying that Solaris was first, I just know Solaris was an early adopter of this.) So the mount command is not optional.

If you get it to work, great. I was just warning you that somethings are not supported. Read the manual to see what is supported. And you find a problem in the manual, submit a bug fix on it.

Arwen

MVP
Do you have any reference or link about "the change" you are referring to ?
No. I searched the forum postings, and only found references in the documentation to importing a disk in Core, not SCALE.

But I checked the GUI for SCALE and could not find any way to import a disk with foreign file systems.

Remember, if the GUI or CLI, (Middleware's command line interface), does not support a function, it is not likely a TrueNAS supported function.

Lots of people think, "I can do that from the Linux SHELL command line". And, yes, at times you can. But, is it an officially supported function? As in something that will be available next release?

Anyway, if you can make it work great. If not, and you feel it's supposed to work, then report a bug.

Edit:
I found the reference, from an iX employee and specifically about the change:

Last edited:

Arwen

MVP
I don't know for certain, please reference current documentation for your version of TrueNAS SCALE.

gyfer

Dabbler
Is it no longer possible to mount NTFS disks?
I have no issue mounting NTFS in Truenas-Scale-22.x
But I no longer able to do that in Truenas-Scale-23.x

To resolve this issue, I have to use partition tools to convert NTFS to EXT4
Hope this help, instead of repeating the need to reference documentation.