Group permissions are being rejected.

dblock247

Cadet
I created a dataset and assigned it's owner and group to networkservices. I gave both the owner and group full permissions to the dataset. I added my username to the networkservices group. I created the smb share which I can connect to because @Everyone has read access however I cannot add any files to the folder. I thought since my user was a member of the group that has full control I would be able to add and delete files from the folder. What am I missing?

Nick2253

Wizard
It depends on how you're connecting to the share. It's hard to know for sure exactly what you're doing from your post.

Could you add some more detail? What is your version of FreeNAS? What is your client system? How are you connecting to your server? Are you using any directory services? How did you make your user account on FreeNAS? How have you setup your dataset? How have you setup your share?

My first recommended troubleshooting step is to confirm that FreeNAS actually treats your client's user account the same as its internal user account. If you make a share owned only by this user account, can you connect to it? Second, make sure you're not connecting anonymously to the share. More than that, I'd need some more info.

dirfiler

Cadet
I am having a similar problem.

Here is my setup:
Platform: Generic
Version: TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz

dirfiler assigned as owner and group of dataset: pcphotos in pool: windowspool
Sharing as windows samba share named photos and it is enabled
1632775483634.png

1632775626462.png

when I originally created the dataset the owner was root and group was wheel
When I assign users to wheel I can log in to share without problem and I can read, write, append and delete without problem.

I run into permission issues when I change the owner and group of the dataset. Please note I have made changes without stripping and also with stripping ACLs. I also tried with applying permissions recursively and not as well. I too have checked Apply permissions to child datasets. I think I have tried every permutation, I could be wrong about that, but I always get denied.

It will only work when I revert group owner to wheel and I assign users to wheel group, whether as primary or auxiliary.

Also, I have also tried adding an acl item with root as owner, wheel as group and extra group dirfiler, all with full control permissions and it still did not work.

I have tried following the manual to no success and I also tried following this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0X0geU6NOA

Please let me know if you need any other details that may allow you to provide some guidance.

Thank you for your time.