permissioning shares via freenas webui

Status
Not open for further replies.

matlock

Contributor
Hey all-
I'm trying to modify permissions on my freenas for testing purposes.

Currently my cifs structure looks like this...
/mnt/prime/downloads
/mnt/prime/programs
/mnt/prime/ftp

Currenty I have a cifs_all group as the owner group for 'prime' and permissions are pushed down through the directories. I also have the owner user set to me - matlock.

I haven't figured out yet, how to if i wanted to give someone limited access say- to the ftp folder but not the other folders/directories. I've created a user- ftpuser, and a group- ftpgroup.

If i go into a mapped network drive, and try to add permissions there, I can't seem to 'discover' the group from freenas. And i've yet to find a way to do this within freenas.

Hope this is clear- Thanks

Matlock

matlock

Contributor
also, if i go to the freenas webui to manage my shares permissions, if i were to change the owner group to a different group- say for the ftp share, I lose the permissions i've set from the parent folder.

-matlock

jjq

Dabbler
Hi there ...I have no answer for you, my suggestion will be to play around with users and share permissions;
However, I've experienced the same problems like you and for the moment decided to leave the shares options to N/A , the user has root access and administrative rights; what I've found out interesting is that after I setup the Maproot User and Maproot Group to the ftp user I noticed the ftp connection was not working anymore; naturally, I've reverted the settings, changing the options to N/A and making the ftp user member of the root group; but again, the ftp was not working . . . . the only way to make-it work was to reboot the machine ;

So it does not directly answer your question but if you decide to play with user permissions and sharing folders you make take into account rebooting your machine from time to time . . .

leenux_tux

Patron
Hello,

Not sure if this will help but it may point you in the right direction....

I had all sorts of "funnies" getting the permissions to work correctly whereby my Windows user account could access a CIFS share and my VMWare "root" account, plus a MythTV "mythtv" account could access NFS shares that were also CIFS

In summary I have a bunch of shares on my FreeNAS system, 4 CIFS with 2 of them being NFS shares as well as CIFS. I know this is not exactly what your looking for as your looking for FTP but this may (or may not ) be useful.

In the end I had to telnet to my FreeNAS box (using PuTTY, a free telnet program) and setting the permissions manually using a mixture of "chmod", "chown" and "chgrp", with the "-R" flag to make sure the settings were set recursively for the file systems in question.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.