Got a real brainbender here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysurf76

Dabbler
So I got freenas set up. I have two zfs volumes. One is set for username/password authentication and I have one share on it and its working great. On the other volume I allowed guest access and have one share on it for music and I can get on any computer in the house and get to the share and access it and read and write to it. Its working great.

Now for the crazy part. On the zfs volume that has the music share I created another share called FamilyPics. I SSHed into freenas as root just like I did for the other two shares and created the /mnt/SataStorage/FamilyPics directory, and then I created the share FamilyPics on that directory. In the setting for the FamilyPics share I have all the same settings exactly as the music share. However while I can read and write to the music share on that zfs volume just fine, every time I try to write to FamilyPics I get "You need permission to perform this action." The share shows up fine, I can open it, but I can't write files to it.

I have restarted everything 5 times, logged out of windows and logged back in, restarted cifs service 5 times. I really am at a loss here. The music share works just fine, but the familypics share on the same zfs volume with the same settings as the music share just will not work right. Additionally I have verified this behavior on 3 different windows 7 computers.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Durkatlon

Patron
Take a look at the permissions on the directory itself (that the share is on; the root of the share as it were). Because you created the directory as the root user from ssh, it used the root's umask to create it. Try doing an
Code:
ls -ld /mnt/SataStorage/FamilyPics

I bet it is missing some of the permission flags. You should be able to fix this by doing a
Code:
chmod 777 /mnt/SataStorage/FamilyPics

skysurf76

Dabbler
Yep that did it. While trying to solve this problem though I found out that setting permissions in the webgui is pretty much broke. With an SSH terminal open I tried making permissions changes through the webgui and I kept an eye on the permissions in the ssh window and many times the webgui would say that the permissions were changed but nothing was actually changed in the permissions that was I was seeing in the SHH window.

Anyway, now I have a new problem. While trying to fix my last problem I was doing the n00b shuffle and just clicking around like crazy trying every combination of settings I could find to get the thing to work and I ended up breaking my password protected volume.

Previously I had one volume that would allow guest access, and then the other volume was set up for authentication. In windows when I would go to "network" the password protected share would show up, and I would click to open it and a window would pop up asking for my username and password. This is exactly how I wanted it to work. I would rather not have to keep a network drive mapped. I want to just go to the share, log in, mess with the files, and log out.

Anyway, as I said, after messing around with the last problem, somehow I completely borked my password protected share. I can still get into by mapping it as a network drive and clicking "login as different user' while mapping it, but anytime I just browse to the share and i try to open it I get the message "\\FREENAS\MyStuff is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have the access permissions. The network path was not found."

Well I contacted the administrator of the server and he doesn't have any idea whats wrong. lol

Somewhere in freenas there has to be a setting that makes the difference between only being able to login by mapping the share as a network drive, and being able to just double click on it to open it and have windows pop up an authentication window asking you for the username and password. I would really like to get it to pop up asking me for the login credentials. Any hints as to what causes the difference in these two behaviors would be the bees knees.

As always any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.