SOLVED "Good" WD Red model? (Replace drive with bad sectors)

Steiner-SE

Dabbler
I just got a warning that one of my drives (seagate IronWolf 4TB) was failing and had 16 bad sectors (8 Current_Pending_Sectors and 8 Offline_Uncorrectable, 0 Reallocated_Sector_Cnt) which I guess means I need to replace it.
I was thinking of grabbing a WD Red instead, but read about the debacle where some are SMR drives so want to double check before I buy
Model number WD40EFAX is the "bad" one with SMR right and the "good" one with CMR is WD40EFRX?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Correct.

Steiner-SE

Dabbler
Thank you, that was quick and concise (you always tend to answer my question and give good advice)

Any thoughts on the drive with bad sectors since it has 0 reallocation so far? It's still in my old NAS (Xpenology) as I only built my TrueNAS machine yesterday and I noticed the error (first detected two days ago apparently) when I started copying all the content from the old NAS to the new one (which will take days). The IronWolf is still, but just barely within warranty, but not sure they will allow RMA with nothing but a handful of bad sectors on it?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I think you've a good chance for an RMA. A handful (<5) bad sectors isn't going to get Seagate exercised too much. Over 10, especially if they're all close together, indicates a physical problem on that platter, and they should honor the warranty.

Steiner-SE

Dabbler
I think you've a good chance for an RMA. A handful (<5) bad sectors isn't going to get Seagate exercised too much. Over 10, especially if they're all close together, indicates a physical problem on that platter, and they should honor the warranty.
Thank you again, I've made a request to RMA it and will send it in as soona s I've copied everything from the old NAS and can tear it down.
Guess this is all I needed and can mark this as solved now.