Good external Hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyline65

Explorer
After my recent episode with degradation and some corrupt files I realised that not all my data has a back up. Normally the data on the freenas server is a backup of what I have on my Mac however along the way I have deleted some files off my Mac. So what I want to do is copy some of the data back and store on an external drive and also burn to M Disc.

Now my main question is what is the best external drive. Normally I would go WD but at the moment there are some offers on 5tb seagate expansion drives and was wondering if anyone has any preferences on good drives. I'm even tempted to buy 2x2tb external drives instead. I used to buy seagates until the recent fiasco of ST3000DM001 so I'm a bit wary of them.

Or should I just buy a toshiba e300, x300, wd green internal drive and stick it back in the box once backed up?

joeschmuck

Old Man
You got me confused. You are talking about external hard drives yet referencing internal hard drives. Gotta make up your mind. To me an external drive is one which connects via an eSATA or USB connector and is generally in an external case.

skyline65

Explorer
What I mean is I can buy an external drive an attach to my Mac to backup the data. External large hard drives seem to be cheaper in the U.K. However if the quality of say seagate external drives is variable I will quite happily buy an internal hard drive and put it in my Mac.. once the data is copied and verified then I will take it out and store away. I know the Wd external drives have green drives in them but have no idea about seagate, toshiba etc.

skyline65

Explorer
I decided to buy 2x2tb toshiba e300 drives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.