Going from RaidZ1 to RaidZ2 : Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hervon

Patron
I've been around this forum for a while. I've learned a lot. So, I decided to comply to recommended hardware be it : Supermicro X9SCM, ECC Ram AND going from a RaidZ1 to Raid Z2 ZFS. Now I need help to make it the easiest way. My data is no an issue. I plan to backup my data to another drive. He are my main questions :

What is the easiest way to restore my jails (minidlna, firefly, transmission, plex, minecraft) ?
What is the easiest way to restore shares ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The easiest way to keep your shares and jails is to make a new pool on the same box(which means owning more drives) and zfs replication from one pool to the other, then export both pools, remove the old pool and rename the new pool to the old pool and import.

If you don't want to go this route things can get messy. The easiest way to restore your jails and shares would be to just recreate them. :(

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there a way in the GUI to "rename the new pool to the old pool and import"? I understand it's pretty simple at the CLI (zpool import newpool oldpool), but you've frequently said to avoid using the CLI whenever possible for ZFS stuff.

To be clear to hervon: there's no way to convert a RAIDZ1 vdev to a RAIDZ2 vdev--you'll need to create a new vdev, in a new pool.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is no way to do it from the GUI. You have to export the old and new pool so the FreeNAS database removes them, rename your pool and then export it, then import it from the WebGUI.

danb35

Hall of Famer
So the process would go:
  1. Export both pools from GUI
  2. Physically remove drives associated with old pool
  3. # zpool import newpool oldpool
  4. # zpool export oldpool
  5. Import from GUI, name should show as oldpool
Right?

hervon

Patron
The easiest way to keep your shares and jails is to make a new pool on the same box(which means owning more drives) and zfs replication from one pool to the other, then export both pools, remove the old pool and rename the new pool to the old pool and import.

If you don't want to go this route things can get messy. The easiest way to restore your jails and shares would be to just recreate them. :(

Thanks Cyberjock for the info. Your suggestion is interesting. Unfortunately, I would run out of SATA ports on my rig. I'll backup my data. Destroy the pool. Rebuild a RAIDZ2 pool with 4x2 tb drives. Recreate the jails. Before hand, i'll backup a few plug-in config files (like transmission) to make life easier afterward.

I see this process as 'punitive' for not following the Good FreeNAS Practice Rules right at the beginning!

hervon

Patron
My update went well even though I had to rebuild everything. Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2 2 x 8GB works well with the Supermicro X9SCM-F even though this RAM does not appear on the Supermicro website. It does appear on the Kingston website. Mobo's bios sees the RAM as ECC. Fractal Define Mini is easier to manage than my previous Coolermaster Elite especially for drives swap.

greuh

Cadet
Hi,

I need to change my vdev to another one. For now they are both a one disk vdev, but soon I expect to have RAIDZ-2.
For now, I need to copy the whole content of my old disk to the new one (several volumes, jails, ...).

I tried to follow cyberjock's recommendations, but I am not sure to understand...
My disk has one "master" volume: /mnt/T3. Other volumes are under this one.
I did:
- create a snapshot of /mnt/T3
- create a replication task to the new disk under /mnt/newT3 which is the new disk (both disks are on the same system)

Then I do not know how to export disks... (zpool export ... ?)
After export, should I do:
zpool import /mnt/newT3 /mnt/T3
zpool export /mnt/T3
Use the GUI to "import volume" ("auto inmport volume" ?).

Help would be very welcome, I do not want to lose configuration or data...

Alexis

danb35

Hall of Famer
To export the pool (not the disks) from the GUI, you'd select the pool in the Storage window, then click the button with the red X below--the tool tip should say "Detach volume". The rest of the steps you posted sound correct; you'd use auto import to bring in the new volume.

greuh

Cadet
Two more questions before I jump in it.
I have several volumes under /mnt/T3 (the to volume to migrate). I need to migrate all of them of course.

My first question is: should I detach /mnt/T3 only ? Or should I also detach all the sub-volumes like /mnt/T3/backup, /mnt/T3/jails, /mnt/T3/music, ...

My second question is: when detaching the /mnt/T3 volume from the GUI, should the option "Delete all shares related to this volume:" be ticked ?

Thanks,
Alexis

Status
Not open for further replies.