Going from FreeNAS to Windows Server 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

therobmyers

Dabbler
Ok I've been using FreeNAS for 2 years now. I only use it for PLEX. I have 2 8TB hard drives full of movies and 1 USB with FreeNAS on it. My question is can I just download and install Windows Server on that USB drive overwriting FreeNAS and it'll automatically detect the movies on it after I install PLEX and update it? Thanks. I really am scared of losing all my movies on the 8TB hard drives.

Last edited by a moderator:

ovizii

Patron
I honestly don't think that will work at all. For one I doubt you can install Win Server onto a USB stick and then I highly doubt Windows can recognize your (probably) zfs formatted drives.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I honestly don't think that will work at all. For one I doubt you can install Win Server onto a USB stick and then I highly doubt Windows can recognize your (probably) zfs formatted drives.
And Windows Server to run Plex? That's like buying an A380 to carry 10 people a day over 250km - it comes with a ton of limitations, it's very expensive to buy and operate and you're not using it for what it's meant to do.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It won't work. Windows probably wants NTFS formatted disks, and won't recognize it. The movies are stored as files on a filesystem and ZFS and Windows simply have no overlap.

Plex on FreeBSD has been doing swimmingly well the last few years. I would guess the same is true of the FreeNAS implementation. Just curious, why the desire to switch?

therobmyers

Dabbler
Damn not what I was expecting. I'm just having problems with PLEX, I don't know if it's my Netgear Nighthawk router or FreeNAS. I can't update PLEX to the latest edition and it's no longer updating with posters/descriptions and every thing I've read to fix it hasn't worked. Completely stumped.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris crude

Patron
Damn not what I was expecting. I'm just having problems with PLEX, I don't know if it's my Netgear Nighthawk router or FreeNas. I can't update PLEX to the latest edition and it's no longer updating with posters/descriptions and every thing I've read to fix it hasn't worked. Completely stumped.
If you only worry about Plex, why not setup a VM in FreeNAS and run it from Linux or Windows? I think those OS are better supported by Plex than BSD plugins and jails.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Damn not what I was expecting. I'm just having problems with PLEX, I don't know if it's my Netgear Nighthawk router or FreeNAS. I can't update PLEX to the latest edition and it's no longer updating with posters/descriptions and every thing I've read to fix it hasn't worked. Completely stumped.
Not knowing the FreeNAS version, my guess is that the underlying FreeBSD version used in the jail is no longer supported either by the current version of FreeNAS or is simply too old to be supported by the Plex folks.

Either way, the solution is to update FreeNAS, create a new jail with a FreeBSD 11 environment and install Plex there. Then provide your old configuration stuff and be on your merry way.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Not knowing the FreeNAS version, my guess is that the underlying FreeBSD version used in the jail is no longer supported either by the current version of FreeNAS or is simply too old to be supported by the Plex folks.

Either way, the solution is to update FreeNAS, create a new jail with a FreeBSD 11 environment and install Plex there. Then provide your old configuration stuff and be on your merry way.

Generally current-ish Plex over here runs fine on FreeBSD 9.3 AMD64. Usually things like posters not updating and other metadata issues are the result of problems like disk filling or database corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.