Giving it a PoC

Status
Not open for further replies.

apolonio

Dabbler
Hello All

I have a pretty strong Linux/Virtualization/Networking background, storage is my weakness.

Anyway looking to replace my CentOS 7 file server which has 4 1TB disks in a software RAID 10 configuration an several Logical Volume Groups.

Going to start off a Proof of Concept with a spare Dell Optiplex I have with 8G of RAM, single disk (1TB). Just wanting to get my feet wet. In this first phase I will see how the install works, if I can add to an AD domain, attach to an ESXi host, snapshots etc. Nothing production, just familiarization.

Part 2 will probably using a consumer grade box I have with 3 disks, to learn how to fail a disk, and replace, if there is any way to grow.

Part 3 will be production hardware, ECC RAM, dedicated UPS for clean shutdown.

Hoping some of the concepts will be familiar (iscsi target, nfs exports, samba permissions, ACL, LVM, PE, etc).

kdragon75

Wizard
Welcome to FreeNAS. The big thing is learning ZFS and FreeBSD. ZFS is you LVM and file system all in one. Get familiar with datasets and there option as well as zvols for the iSCSI side of things. Have fun and ask lots of detailed questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.