Giving a VM USB access, OR porting CUPS print server to a plugin?

diskdiddler

Wizard
I ran out of time, some stuff has come up.
I feel like I'm 3/4 of the way there, I get the impression it's possible and I intend to document when I get it running but it's been painful right now for time :(

Did you get as far as I got?

racera4

Cadet
I hear ya there! Time is in short supply these days! We always have 24 hrs in a day, but it sure seems like a lot less some times.

I'm toying with FreeNAS in a Virtualbox VM currently, before I actually put it on the hardware I'm wanting to use. However, that has it's own intricacies that lead to silly issues, I'm actually trying to do a test build of what you've done now to see where I get.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I suspect that's going to add /another/ layer of complexity to the situation.

FreeNAS is good, you can boot it raw, off USB - just do that, at least you're removing a layer of mess then.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Just a guess, but what devfs ruleset are you running in the cups jail? Perhaps the device is visible but read-only?

diskdiddler

Wizard
I set it to 3 should it be even lower.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You could always try with it wide open and wind it back if it works.

diskdiddler

Wizard
What level is wide open? 1

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I see that 1 is everything hidden...

Seems 4 is fairly open, but on my main FreeNAS box, I see that there is also an override rule 100 which specifically targets USB. (I checked another one and see the same, seems to be the FreeNAS standard... (nothing I did and forgot about).

Have a look at the files mentioned by this manpage:

I also noticed when i work with my Plex jail it always mentions ruleset 7 which isn't in the files, so perhaps there's some custom scripts going on there.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I mean I googled and got the impression that 3 was the answer.
Perhaps if I hook up a USB drive and write to it, it'll ensure it's 2 way comms?

Problem is you see, there's so many different factors, which could be broken - in the meantime, I'd actually moved the USB cable, back to my $11 OrangePiZero (due to busyness)

I should be able to put the cable back permenantly, shortly.

racera4

Cadet
I mean I googled and got the impression that 3 was the answer.
Perhaps if I hook up a USB drive and write to it, it'll ensure it's 2 way comms?

Problem is you see, there's so many different factors, which could be broken - in the meantime, I'd actually moved the USB cable, back to my $11 OrangePiZero (due to busyness)

I should be able to put the cable back permenantly, shortly.

Hey there, had some extra time on my hands to play around with this.
Setting the ruleset to 3 is correct. (I think, see below, maybe that's my problem)

SO! I can see my USB Printer in the CUPS Web GUI, and I can send a test print page from there!
I was so excited when that worked. So this morning, I was like, I can now just configure my clients to print to it.
Well, that didn't go as planned. For some reason everytime I send a print job to it, the job is held. I can release the job, but then it immediately completes it with no printing involved and no errors. I'm still troubleshooting, about at the end of my wits here.

If anyone has any suggestions please advise!!

Thanks!