Getting (more) serious with TrueNas 12

RandomBloke85

Dabbler
Hello

A couple of months ago, I wanted to replace my SynologyNAS with an open source solution and gave Truenas a try. I had a bunch of less then ideal hardware in my basement from my old desktop PC laying around which should be good enough to get start with.

In the meantime, I'm running TRUENAS as a NAS (obviously), with PLEX, Nextcloud (plus Talk and Music) and syncthing jails on top of it. All runs very well and is very convenient to use. We're a small household with only 5 users, so we don't need super sophisticated hardware, I guess. We're running TRUENAS just with 2 8TB mirrored seagate disks.

Now what I would like to do is getting down the power consumption while making the system faster - if possible. :smile:

The current i7-875K is a 2010 design with a TPD of 95W, no ECC-support, no-AES-NI support (if I wanted it to use it in my pfsense router one day) and graphics support (for PLEX hardware acceleration). And it seems, that it can't handle multiple tasks at once very well. The Gigabyte P55-UD3 Board only supports DDR3 memory, lacks ECC support and has no UEFI bios.

The latest edition of the TRUENAS community hardware guide, recommends i3's for "medium usage". From the description, an i3 would probably fit the bill in our case, like the 8100 or 9100F for example. The TDP is about 30-40% lower and has all the features, which were missing on the i7-875K. That plus 16GB ECC-DDR4 RAM and a matching board(?) would be an upgrade which makes sense I think?

So my question is, would it make sense to go with a 9th gen i3 or would an E3, E5 XEON (which I don't know at all) and a AsRock/Supermicro board be the better choice (I've heard, that they are not very power efficient)? Or should I even look around in the AMD Ryzen section? Or should I consider something completly different and my thinking is wrong all over?

Thank you

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I would absolutely get a server board with ECC support and if course ECC memory. IPMI is not necessary but very nice to have. I have three Supermicro systems here: TrueNAS CORE, ESXi, OPNsense - all of them without monitor and keyboard. I can (and have) install them from CD/DVD images and KVM all over the network.

CPU depends on your budget. The newer Atoms are ok for NAS services and a couple of jails. If you want to run VMs, e.g. Windows, and need more single core performance, a Xeon D is nice, but way more expensive than Atom based boards.

RandomBloke85

Dabbler
Excellent Advice Patrick, thank you. I'll look into this.

The XEON's are soldered to the mainboard. Not a deal-breaker, but not what I would prefer in terms of upgradeability and replacement if broken. Especially for that price. But TDP's and performance seems in line with what I was looking for. Probably even a "slight" overshoot. :smile:

Etorix

Wizard
If you want some GPU for transcoding, an 8th/9th generation Core i3 (non-F) on a C242/C246 motherboard definitely looks like the way to go—assuming that the iGPU can be passed to Plex within TrueNAS. There are many threads discussing such hardware.

Do not pay too much attention to TDP, as the CPU will be idling or close to idle most of the time.

RandomBloke85

Dabbler
Thanks for your more budget friendly advice. :smile:

I thought 4k transcoding is the most hardware demanding task in my overall setup, so it would make sense to get that right. Anything else is just a bit filesharing here and there, maybe streaming, which could be probably done by an old Pentium or i3.

Would I gain something with 32gb RAM (or even more) or is that just a waste and 16 will do? Running on 16 currently.