CPU Swap Help

Harrisonm65

Dabbler
Hi all

I use my TrueNAS server only as a Plex server currently and it was put together with consumer grade goods that I had spare or got real cheap. Its no rocket ship but serves me well enough so far. However, I have got my hands on an i7-4770S which I am thinking of replacing the existing i3-4170 with. I know the hardware is compatible with my board, RAM etc, but I just wanted to check if there was anything else I needed to be aware of, mostly from a TrueNAS point of view? Ive already backed up my current config, but once the CPU is swapped out, should TrueNAS just boot up as normal and run?

Thanks

ChrisRJ

Wizard
If the hardware is compatible I see no reason why TrueNAS should cause any issues.

QonoS

Explorer
If you are using ECC memory be aware that the i7 does not support it.

rvassar

Guru
I've swapped out CPU's, and I'll second the note about lack of support for ECC in the i7. The only caveats I've run across usually involve BIOS support. Otherwise, the FreeBSD kernel just detects the CPU at boot time, and configures itself accordingly.

FWIW - I did not have any success with GPU transcoding while running a core i3 CPU, and eventually switched to a beefier Xeon.

ThreeDee

Guru
Hi all

I use my TrueNAS server only as a Plex server currently and it was put together with consumer grade goods that I had spare or got real cheap. Its no rocket ship but serves me well enough so far. However, I have got my hands on an i7-4770S which I am thinking of replacing the existing i3-4170 with. I know the hardware is compatible with my board, RAM etc, but I just wanted to check if there was anything else I needed to be aware of, mostly from a TrueNAS point of view? Ive already backed up my current config, but once the CPU is swapped out, should TrueNAS just boot up as normal and run?

Thanks
I'd Update your motherboards BIOS if there is an update available before you swap CPU's out