Getting faster speed /read / write with 10Gbps Ethernet

BRIO

Dabbler
NAS specs:
Motherboard: ASUS Prime X570-Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
RAM: T-Create DDR4 64GB 128GB (4X32GB)
10Gbps PCIe Card: Intel X540-T2 Dual 10GB port ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/143592050461?var=442552216136 )
4X 16TB Ultrastar HDD (Raid-Z2)
1TB M.2 Cache Vdev

Some small files (around 1GB to 3GB) transfer pretty fast around 1GBps from my NAS to my computer M.2 OS drive. Though when it comes to larger files it can peak at 1GBps but quickly go down around 200MBps / 300MBps. My first reflex was to purchase more M.2 drives to have a bigger Vdev cache storage but when I started to dig down on the subject, everything seems to point toward the RAM. I'm currently maxed out with 128GB of RAM using my actual Motherboard.

My questions are:

1. How can I get a constant 1GBps of transfer speed with my current setup (Motherboard / CPU)?
2. Is it possible to create a cache of any sort with a couple of M.2 drives that will do: FILES ---> Cache M.2 ----> HDD so I can speed up my transfers / read / write?

Attachments

• Screenshot_25.png
    Screenshot_25.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 411
  • Screenshot_26.png
    Screenshot_26.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 406

NickF

Guru
Short answer? More disks.
You’re system is plenty fast and has plenty of RAM for ARC caching (reads), the issue you have now is simply that your disks are holding your performance bsck. A single RAID Z2 VDEV is never going to be fast.

BRIO

Dabbler
Ok! So I would have 2 different pool in one? Sorry I'm pretty new to this so if you just want to point me where I can find the info that would really help

NickF

Guru
Ok! So I would have 2 different pool in one? Sorry I'm pretty new to this so if you just want to point me where I can find the info that would really help
Nope, a pool is built from 1 or more VDEVs. A VDEV is a collection of disks. In your case you chose RAID Z2, which is one of the safest option but also one of the slowest. Your pool is 1 VDEV of a 4 wide raidz2. What I suggested was a pool of 2 vdevs of a 4 wide z2.

BRIO

Dabbler
Nope, a pool is built from 1 or more VDEVs. A VDEV is a collection of disks. In your case you chose RAID Z2, which is one of the safest option but also one of the slowest. Your pool is 1 VDEV of a 4 wide raidz2. What I suggested was a pool of 2 vdevs of a 4 wide z2.

Ok I just finished to read the article, I can't say I 100% understood everything but it helped me to clear some things up. Overall for my personal case, how much drive do you suggest by VDEV? You mentioned 4 more drive, should I put 2 drives by VDEV? Also, how much storage should I get by VDEV drives to not overkill the thing but still get enough to get maximum speed?

sretalla