Get onboard the Train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Jensen

Dabbler
Okay I am curious FreeNAS 9.10 seems to use the Train concept as one means to update itself is there any explanation on how this is done and/or how this might be duplicated outside of FreeNAS? Basically how does one go about setting up a Train station such as that is set up with FreeNAS 9.10 so that the normal use of FreeNAS GUI Trains can be directed to the appropriate Train station where the appropriate Trains await? Thanks in advance for any incites on this.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is this a serious question?

A train of updates is essentially a synonym for public release branches of FreeNAS. There are no "stations", you choose the version you want (9.3, 9.10, 10 Beta) and updates will be delivered for the specified version.

Dennis Jensen

Dabbler
Yes I understood that part of it and I was simply using the "theme" of Train to ask my question.

Basically in the GUI you choose your Train (9.3, 9.10, 10 Beta)(aka Build Branch -- and from the way it sounds you could theoretically choose even more if it were set up do do so) and then the software handles going out to the source (aka Train Station) and booking the Train (implementing a pull) to bring you your cargo (changed "compiled" source code) then when it arrives the software disseminates that cargo (unloads the Train) to its designated endpoints.

However it is unclear to me how this is handled on the Station (source) side of things. I can see code used to implement the request but not how things are set up on the source side to handle this request. And there does not seem to be a means that either sets it up for you or outlines how to set it up on your own. So basically if I do not want to go and pull a 9.3, 9.10, or 10 Beta but want to set up and pull a 9.10 Advanced or some other Branch that I have set up at my source how is that set up so that the GUI acts accordingly

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So basically if I do not want to go and pull a 9.3, 9.10, or 10 Beta but want to set up and pull a 9.10 Advanced or some other Branch that I have set up at my source how is that set up so that the GUI acts accordingly
You can't. Or rather, it's not supported. I think FreeNAS grabs a listing of available trains from the update servers, which I'm fairly certain is signed by iX.

Update packages themselves are also signed.

Dennis Jensen

Dabbler
Well I am hoping that is actually not the case -- and the case is that it simply has not been outlined as of yet because not very many people are interested in doing this as of yet. However, it being an integral piece to FreeNAS it would be nice to know how it is done so that it can be duplicated and that aspect of the code modified as desired. If I find out via another means then I will post the answer here but I am hoping someone in the know might post that answer here. Oh and thanks for the feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.