General weirdnesses in new portjail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
So, I was hoping someone like Dusan or similarly black-belted sensei can tell me what the hell is going on. Now, I've solved the problems, of course, but I am still troubled by the fact that they existed in the first place. I'll try to be as brief as possible. Of course, I'm using the latest release 9.2.

1) I bought yesterday a new SSD for the FreeNAS with the specific goal of moving my jails to it.
2) I only use portjails, and I run murmur, ZNC, and unbound (so far) in the jail. And I build a few editors. Nothing major. Rather than using the Dusan-jail-port method, I decided to go with the Jordan-Hubbard-Kill-and-Recreate method, on the grounds that I know what I'm doing now somewhat better than I did before, and creating fresh jails from scratch would just be better, accordingly.
3) I used Cyberjock's "portmaster" mash-up that he details in this post to make sure I was using the most crack-a-lacking ports tree (and this is new---I built most of my packages pre-portmaster last time).

In no particular order, I experienced the following weirdnesses that I am pretty sure I did NOT experience when I made my original jails last month, and while they don't seem sinister, I'd like to understand why they might have happened:

• The /home directory was never created, and possibly related:
  • The root, i.e., '/' directory was owned by (non-existent--I checked /etc/passwd) uid 1011.
  • These two things caused it to be impossible for adduser() to make new homedirs for new uids.
  • The uid 1011 thing has me concerned, because eventually I'll create a user that's uid 1011, so anything left over from whatever detritus this is could inadvertently give that user privs on some shit.
  • After the initial virginal jail setup (so, with no ports built by me), portmaster -a took an inordinately absurd amount of time...hours, in fact. I am positive this wasn't the case before.
  • As I was building murmur, it choked, saying that the xxxffi? (I forget the xxx, but the ffi is correct,and it was something in /usr/ports/devel) was not available. Why should this happen? After building that /usr/ports/devel/whatever package myself, everything was fine. I thought the whole point to the ports tree method of doing things was that dependencies like this would be automatically built? Am I stupid? Plus, I am *POSITIVE* that didn't happen last time, and "last time" was only a month ago.
Anyway, a window into what these symptoms suggest would be much appreciated. Like I said, I did solve all the problems (adding packages, chown'ing and chgrp'ing and chmod'ing, blah blah blah), but I still would like to know why they hell they happened. And maybe the next guy that comes along will like to know too.

Thanks.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
OK, so, first of all, bump.

Second of all, turns out other people are now complaining about the same sort of weirdnesses on the forum and in the irc channel.

So did something happen? The images from which the jails are built have something different in them inadvertently (and, one assumes, temporarily)?

Status
Not open for further replies.