FYI, Intel C2000 family of processors: System Fault may lead to dead system.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And I'm back with photographs and scope shots.

I mean, one of them doesn't even look terrible, it jut ended up upside-down. The other one is so gnarly I can't even visualize if it's okay, but buzzing out all nearby pads shows that everything is connected as desired. How well is a different matter...

A1SRi-2558F Repair 1.JPG

A1SRi-2558F Repair 2.JPG

Let's move on to something more interesting, and keep in mind that this board is the same as the one from the scope shots upthread, after the repair - both clock lines were pulled up to 3.3. V by around 140-150 Ohm:

A1SRi-2558F LPC TPM vs BMC clocks.png

Yellow is the TPM LPC clock line, previously working (compare with post #164 above), Magenta is the BMC clock line, previously dead (I'll spare you the scope shot, the results are all over the place - bottom line, it was dead).
The TPM clock still looks decently nice, though it doesn't go down to 0 V. Shouldn't be a huge deal, but it shows that the hard pull-up does have an effect on healthy lines.
The BMC clock is not great, but the BMC makes it work. Probing on this one is also a bit more dodgy, since I have to use the test point helpfully identified by @RZSN, which does not have any particularly convenient grounds nearby, so antenna lead over to the VGA connector is about as good as it gets. Still, it looks like a slightly stronger pull-up might clean things up somewhat - though I'd much rather use the weakest that makes the CPU and BMC happy.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sidenote: The scope did something stupid and now Windows doesn't really like the flash drive, though fortunately Android didn't really have a problem with it. It's not even a filesystem thing, it seems to be a USB thing, curiously.

phatsakk43

Cadet
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I've had a SuperMicro A1SAI-2750F operating with TrueNAS for several years. Last month it just stopped. IMPI could connect, but the machine would not post.

After doing the RMA request as noted on page 5 or 6 of this thread, I went through the RMA process with SuperMicro and was approved for a free replacement of my 08/2016 Rev. 1.00 board. No questions asked. So, thanks for putting this out there and great service from SuperMicro. I hope to get 10 more years out of this little machine.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
This is why I enthusiastically endorse SuperMicro over Asrock Rack, unless you buy the Asrock rack board via iXSystems.