FWIW: When it says "Don't upgrade the boot pool", they are not kidding!

ArchatParks

Dabbler
So, after a recent upgrade, I ran :
"zpool status -v bootpool" and got a message like this:

pool: bootpool
state: ONLINE
status: Some supported and requested features are not enabled on the pool.
The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.
action: Enable all features using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done,
the pool may no longer be accessible by software that does not support
the features. See zpool-features(7) for details.
scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:02:11 with 0 errors on Sat Oct 28 03:47:13 2023
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
bootpool ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
sdb3 ONLINE 0 0 0
sdc3 ONLINE 0 0 0

I remember running "zpool upgrade" quite soem time ago so I did it...bad idea.

Like a dipstick, even though I saw a ton of messages saying "Don't do it" it was like thinking that a Krystal hamburger and a shot of Fireball would be a good idea even though your friends said "Don't do it!!!"...I did it anyway. Worse, it was on several machines.

I was greeted with a nice grub message and it would not boot. I ended up having to run the install from the DVD image and then restoring the config info.

Don't do it!

Arwen

MVP
Thank you for your clear and honest posting.

Grub's supported ZFS pool features will likely always be out of date. TrueNAS SCALE likely uses a direct feed of OpenZFS, while the Debian Linux distro that SCALE is based on, will likely have an older version of Grub. Thus, the dis-connect.

In other uses of ZFS, like my own home computers, using a separate "/boot" partition eliminates any Grub incompatibility with the OS side's root pool. But, it still does require "/boot" either be EXTx file system or a limited ZFS pool features.

hackerman

Cadet
I did the same thing a week ago when 23.10.0 came out. I had upgraded the boot pool once or twice before, with the previous releases, and didn't have this issue. When I suddenly got this issue with this release, I first blamed it on the TrueNAS update, since I did have other issues caused by OS updates (messed up reports and apps completely gone). After looking on the forums here, I saw that simply shouldn't upgrade the boot pool, so I've learned that lesson now.

It's a good thing that TrueNAS prompts you to download a copy of your config every time you update the OS, since that's what saved my bacon. As OP stated, I just had to re-install the OS from a USB and import my config, and I was good to go. My issue with the reports being gone was also fixed, so that's good. The only actual issues with 23.10.0 that I can see currently are much higher than expected traffic speeds in the reporting and the apps service being broken. Besides that, things seem dandy.