Fun with adaptive units: "Ganz großes Kino -testing things" theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Warning: Yes this theme is very definitely less than stable and may have breakage or other oddness from time to time, and its entirely possible that not everything will be easy to accomplish when using it. I'll try to fix/revert the worst problems as soon as I notice them but zero guarantees. Only one hue until work is complete.

Take a peek at Ganz großes Kino -testing things and see how it works. I think that the "stepped" responsiveness (via subset of defined viewport/media sizes) causes some adjustments that may remove control from the general adjustments I am using in my EXTRA.css file. Possibly if I use similar width definitions in each media section the flaws will iron out. It is something to investigate further. However,
for many possible widths:
  • default font sizes and line heights for 'html' and 'body' use the adaptive units
  • the editor is more properly sized (ie, matches usable space much nicer)
  • message avatar/user info boxes (left side of each post) resize more appropriately, including the avatar and content text
  • the "online" ribbon resizes nicer
  • There is definitely fallout all over the place caused by the adaptive unit stuff.
FYI: There seems to be an addon for Xenforo to control theme usage: style access

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Some things resist attempts to make smooth element resizing relative to viewport size.

Resources section:
The resources section needed a modification to the template this theme uses, a minor change, and it solved one issue (the featured resources boxes). There is ugly overlap remaining at some dimensions and imperfect font sizing in places.
Advertisements:
Either I style them to truncate or they remain their static size and overflow their container (sidebar). Either way, I am not too concerned whether something essentially out of my control fails on its own.
'Normal' Responsive:
The media size mechanism for "responsive" webpages continues to break things in unexpected ways for this theme. Well, unexpected in how but not so unexpected that it breaks. I might simply eliminate 90% of this mechanism from the theme and adapt everything to the vw or vh or em units which are adaptive in one way or other of themselves.

UPDATE: The overlap issue has been solved. The center section will honor spacing between it and the sidebar for the resources section. This was figured out by way of solving a spacing issue with the forums listing page, then adapted for the resources section.

Attempted to improve the effect for the main forum thread view, but not successful the same way as for the forum view or resources section. The author bubblebox thingy on the left as well as the sidebar on the right want to overlap the middle.. I have yet to discover the correct selector and/or values to solve it. I suspect part of the problem is that the bubblebox thingy is floated, the other two situations do not use that method.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
When I get this theme variation complete for its adaptive/responsive proportional sizing stuff, I will consider whether to make it available (with additional hues) or replace the original. I think I might need a lot more feedback when I get there, because I do not know how everything works on all media devices or sizes. I also do not know what users may prefer, however, I will very likely add at least a small portion of the adaptive stuff back into the main Ganz großes Kino theme (editor sizing for example).

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Oh well.. I solve some things and make a reasonable attempt at others. The 'messageUserBlock' has the avatar and name and title and member since yadda yadda stuff. I think I need to make the block wider but I also need to figure out how to keep the text proportional to the width of this block. The forum post and the sidebar both seem to scale smoothly and maintain a decent appearance, I believe. This 'messageUserBlock' is a bit trickier because it is a combination of three entities with sub-entities, without mentioning the online ribbon or the little triangle pointer box to make it all seem like a speech balloon.

One good thing though, a success, is that I realized that its possible to have crazy large words as usernames for example, which for all of this proportional stuff was breaking the messageUserBlock overlap. blame/thank user CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet for that.

I am also aware that the odd overlay popup message thingy(s) are wildly large but also off-center. I'm pretty sure it is related to this proportional/scaling stuff.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
UPDATE.

Since the change to XenForo 2.x, this theme no longer exists as it had. Although there is a testing theme where I try to perfect changes before I move them to either the parent or dark themes, the proportional work is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.