SOLVED Fujitsu 9211-8i D2607 LSISAS2008 wont flash to anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJonny

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

I've been trying for days now to flash my new Fujitsu 9211-8i D2607 LSISAS2008 to LSI IT mode. I've tried loads of guides, sas2flash versions, firmwares, with and without the BIOS. Keeps failing on this (see below).
hLCN0NE.jpg

Any one have any ideas why its happening.

Currently using UEFI to Flash, card is in the 1st PCI slot, disabled on board SATA controller and USB 3 Controller.

Guides I have tried;
Updated: SAS HBA crossflashing or flashing to IT mode, Dell Perc H200 and H310

SAS HBA crossflashing or flashing to IT mode, Dell Perc H200 and H310
Fujitsu D2607 (SAS2008) IT mode

Still unable to get it working :s. Need to get this HBA working, current SATA PCI card is on the blink :(

Any help with be most appreciated
_____
Jonny

It seems that the vendor it does matter after all.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Wipe the manufacturer (Mfg) section and try again.

MrJonny

Dabbler
I believe I have tried that,
SAS2Flash –o –e 7
7 Erase complete flash​

bigphil

Patron
Using the files in the "updated: SAS HBA...." guide on techmattr, you should be able to get this going. You may need to crossflash to an older version of IT firmware first. Download the package on that website "LSI-9211-8i.zip" and then these steps (bios mode, not uefi):
sas2flsh -o -e 7
This erases everything.
sas2flsh -o -f 2118p7.bin
The above command should list SAS2Flash version 5.00.00.00. You must use -o here (usually you dont have to for a firmware flash) to allow the crossflash to work. You may need to reboot after this command and then you should be able to flash to the latest firmware version (P20) using the latest version of all flashing files. This has worked for me using stubborn H310 cards.

*I've done the same with uefi mode, but from the home directory run sas2flash.efi. I can't remember what version of sas2flash it is, but it should be the old one too. Then you can update to the latest using sas2flash_p19.efi

**If it still doesn't work, paste the output of "sas2flsh -listall" here, so we can see what you have loaded on the card.

Last edited:

MrJonny

Dabbler
Just given it ago and it fails to erase the MPB Region :(

did a sas2flsh -o -e 4 to confirm this

bigphil

Patron
Just given it ago and it fails to erase the MPB Region :(

did a sas2flsh -o -e 4 to confirm this

Reboot and try again. Also...are you in bios mode now? You can try again in uefi mode too...using the proper files for each mode of course.

MrJonny

Dabbler
Thanks for your help here bigphil

I get that PAL error in DOS but i got sas2flsh v5 for DOS and UEFI

Erase flash operation failed still after reboot, when doing sas2flsh -o -e 4 in EFI

I think will be very helpful when somebody suggest something to mention if He done it himself or this is just His opinion(idea). It will save the a lot a time and perhaps many devices from being bricked by people who tried to help. I am not referring to anybody just general observation.

MrJonny

Dabbler
Heres a screenshot,

I've rebooted multiple times. Also I dont think this list looks good :S
Qiar3Bt.jpg

bigphil

Patron
That looks fine...it has "(??)" because that old version of sas2flsh doesn't know about the hardware revision of the card...no worries. The other "undetermined" is ok too for now. Did you ever run "megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin" and "megarec -cleanflash 0" (as long as there is only 1 controller in the box, 0 is correct as that is simply stating the controller number to run the operation against)?

bigphil

Patron
I think will be very helpful when somebody suggest something to mention if He done it himself or this is just His opinion(idea). It will save the a lot a time and perhaps many devices from being bricked by people who tried to help. I am not referring to anybody just general observation.
Yes, I've done this myself on H310 cards. He stated that he had already went through the guides post online for H200/H310 cards so we cant hurt anything here. Also...I did state that I have done this myself on quite a few occasions. Since I am the one mostly responding to this thread, I assume this was meant for me. It's pretty hard to brick an HBA with these tools. People that think they have bricked cards, most likely hadn't, they just failed to recover them properly.

bigphil

Patron
Thanks for your help here bigphil

I get that PAL error in DOS but i got sas2flsh v5 for DOS and UEFI

Erase flash operation failed still after reboot, when doing sas2flsh -o -e 4 in EFI

Ok, that is what I've seen before too. If you get PAL error, you must use efi versions. Ok, so you should start from the beginning. I've never looked for guides for the Fujitsu version, so hopefully the guide from techmattr you followed works for that card. So try this out. These are the steps I've come up with that I've always done to get H310's to work.

1) megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
2) megarec -cleanflash 0
3) reboot
4) Using the files in the Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA A03 firmware in the Firmware directory. SAS2Flash utility version 2.00.00.01 2010.03.22 (same directory): sas2flsh -f 6GBPSAS.FW
5) reboot
6) Using the sas2flsh in the Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA A08 directory, Flash A08 Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA firmware: sas2flsh -f 6GBPSAS.FW
7) reboot
8) Using SAS2Flash version 5.00.00.00 2010.02.10 in the home directory: sas2flsh -o -f 2118p7.bin
9) reboot
10) Using the latest "SAS9211-8i P20 IT firmware for BIOS" downloaded from LSI (avagotech.com), use that firmware and tools included with it to flash the firmware: sas2flsh -f 2118it.bin
11) Reboot
12) Profit!

*I could only get this to work using the above versions and process. I've tried all versions of firmware with/without rebooting in between and this is the only way its worked for me each time using bios (if no PAL error) or efi versions if PAL error occurred. If you can't get past A03 or A08, you can add the "-o" option to the command. This puts the flash process into advanced mode and offers an override if the NVDATA Vendor ID and the NVDATA Product ID fields from the new firmware image don't match the same fields in the firmware that are already flashed on the controller.

Last edited:

MrJonny

Dabbler
Ok, that is what I've seen before too. If you get PAL error, you must use efi versions. Ok, so you should start from the beginning. I've never looked for guides for the Fujitsu version, so hopefully the guide from techmattr you followed works for that card. So try this out. These are the steps I've come up with that I've always done to get H310's to work.

1) megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
2) megarec -cleanflash 0
3) reboot
4) Using the files in the Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA A03 firmware in the Firmware directory. SAS2Flash utility version 2.00.00.01 2010.03.22 (same directory): sas2flsh -f 6GBPSAS.FW
5) reboot
6) Using the sas2flsh in the Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA A08 directory, Flash A08 Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA firmware: sas2flsh -f 6GBPSAS.FW
7) reboot
8) Using SAS2Flash version 5.00.00.00 2010.02.10 in the home directory: sas2flsh -o -f 2118p7.bin
9) reboot
10) Using the latest "SAS9211-8i P20 IT firmware for BIOS" downloaded from LSI (avagotech.com), use that firmware and tools included with it to flash the firmware: sas2flsh -f 2118it.bin
11) Reboot
12) Profit!

*I could only get this to work using the above versions and process. I've tried all versions of firmware with/without rebooting in between and this is the only way its worked for me each time using bios (if no PAL error) or efi versions if PAL error occurred. If you can't get past A03 or A08, you can add the "-o" option to the command. This puts the flash process into advanced mode and offers an override if the NVDATA Vendor ID and the NVDATA Product ID fields from the new firmware image don't match the same fields in the firmware that are already flashed on the controller.

Still no luck, fails on the mfgpage2 still :S something is not right here

bigphil

Patron
At what step does it fail? Did you try the -o option when flashing the firmware? I've found that if you get some type of error, its best to always start back at step 1 in my instructions. I did a little searching and it appears that the Fujitsu card should be able to crossflash to Dell fw and then onto the LSI fw.

MrJonny

Dabbler
At what step does it fail? Did you try the -o option when flashing the firmware? I've found that if you get some type of error, its best to always start back at step 1 in my instructions. I did a little searching and it appears that the Fujitsu card should be able to crossflash to Dell fw and then onto the LSI fw.
Yeah I did a lot of searching and came across the same findings, It always fails on writing to NVRAM, Also it fails to erase the flash so, could there be something wrong with the flash? I've tried other SBRs but they make it not appear in sas2flash, so I'm using the right one. Anything else I can do to reset anything or something?

bigphil

Patron
Yeah I did a lot of searching and came across the same findings, It always fails on writing to NVRAM, Also it fails to erase the flash so, could there be something wrong with the flash? I've tried other SBRs but they make it not appear in sas2flash, so I'm using the right one. Anything else I can do to reset anything or something?

Do the first two megarec commands finish successfully? If they dont...thats the first problem. This guide that I'm sure you've read, sounds like the golden ticket.

MrJonny

Dabbler
Do the first two megarec commands finish successfully? If they dont...thats the first problem. This guide that I'm sure you've read, sounds like the golden ticket.
Yeah both of commands,

I'll try the modified file tomorrow, getting late here in the UK midnight now. So shall try tomorrow, hopefully it works :)

bigphil

Patron
You'll get it...you just have to find the right combination. Once you get it all flashed to IT mode, don't forget to run the command "sas2flsh -o -sasaddhi 5003048" and then come up with 9 more alphanumeric characters...this would work "006h9hd30"

Status
Not open for further replies.