FTP permissions - write but no delete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg_E

Explorer
I'm trying to set up a share that our students will use to turn in assignments for classes. I want them to be able to list the directory so they can see the files, and write their assignment to the directory (and list again to see that it is present). Is this possible with the FTP interface offered by FreeNAS 11.x? I'm not seeing a way to do this on the surface, and google hasn't turned anything concrete up that might help. I did see some talk that some FTP applications can do this by editing their .conf file, so can I open up a terminal and navigate to the FTP .conf file and change/add some text to make this work?

So that faculty can have greater permissions, I'll probably map a share to their accounts. Or I can probably give the security group that they belong to a different set of permissions (like rwx). We are a Windows domain, but I'm trying to reduce my Windows server count and gain features like snapshots for our storage.

TIA, Greg

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I believe this is possible via ACLs, but you will have to set them via the CLI (setfacl). In FreeBSD "write" implies "delete", and so you will need to define explicit "deny-delete" ACEs for the users that need this special configuration.

If you need an append-only directory (users will be able to delete their own files but no one else's), you can set the sticky bit on it. See chmod and sticky. This is much easier to set up.

Greg_E

Explorer
Thanks. I found some additions to Nextcloud that might let me do what I need as well, that's what I'm working on first. If that fails I'll go back to FTP and look up how to set those permissions, the sticky bit would probably do the job just fine and probably easier to set as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.