From Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

drl

Cadet
Hi.

In Minnesota, near Wisconsin (Wi), not West Indies (WI). Retired, getting a centralized backup service running for a disparate collection of machines. I use them to try to answer questions on other forums, although most of them are VMs: a number of Linux distributions, {Free, Net, Open}BSD, Solaris, Windows 10 (with cygwin), etc.

I find that a good part of backup can be handled quickly with VM snapshots, say for protecting against problems with updates. However, longer-term, off-machine-or-site backup is the best insurance. For development work I keep local RCS collections to counteract errors in typing and design. Every now and then I tar up my home directory and save it. Every few hours, I currently have an rsnapshot run to capture changes on my workstation to a backup server, but it does not understand Apple stuff, nor Windows stuff.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Welcome to the forums!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to the forums as well. And I like to take this opportunity to ask you to read the Forum Rules. While they are fairly short, they are very specific. Many people will ask a question but there are often times (most times) where we need hardware configuration and FreeNAS version info in order to provide an accurate response and minimize back and fourth questions. I'm hoping your experience with FreeNAS is trouble free but if you've been around computers as long as I suspect, you know better. Something will come up and be a pain in your rear.

I too have retired once, working on my second one now. Hope you are enjoying yours.

drl

Cadet
Hi, Spearfoot and joeschmuck.

Thanks for the welcome.

I had read over the rules earlier (similar to other forums) and posted back to JoshDW19 about one part of the rules, namely the hardware stuff -- I could not find an easy to get all that, such as one might obtain from inxi. I did port over an almost-BSD version of inxi, but it was not as sdatisfactory as I would like -- what did you use to get the hardware data?

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

joeschmuck

Old Man
what did you use to get the hardware data?
I purchased every part so I know what's in my machine. We don't need to know if you have and Intel or RealTek NIC if we know you have a Supermicro XYZ motherboard, we will look that up and figure it out. But we need to know some of those basics.

Cheers!

drl

Cadet
Hi, Joe.

Like so? ... cheers, drl

joeschmuck

Old Man
That looks good. If you could include the how the two hard drives are configured? I assume mirror.

Also, I understand that people who use a cell phone to access the forums are not able to see the signature line so you would need to copy and paste it into the body of the posting so they can see it as well.

I think you may have gotten lucky, the LAN chip is a Marvell so you may be in the clear. If you notice any network performance issues you may need to add a dual port Intel NIC card and turn off the onboard NICs. Just something to be aware of but I wouldn't change anything right now.

Reactions: drl

drl

Cadet
Hi, Joe.

Yes, the disks will be a mirror. I did the install a few days ago, and I don't think they are in a mirror set yet. The smb and afp services also are not being advertised / accessible.

I never gave a thought to the Ethernet facility, so thanks for checking that. I've been able to communicate with the box via browser and ssh.

I always assume that I'll need to install a few times to get things right. Here it's not so much the install per se, but really the configuration.

I'll keep plugging away.

Thanks ... cheers, drl

Status
Not open for further replies.