Freezing box

Status
Not open for further replies.

coulix

Dabbler
Well well, here I am, with a freezing box.

Original introduction post showing my config https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...for-my-first-freenas-setup.61621/#post-438667
Code:
- AM4 motherboard - GA-AX370-Gaming K7
- Ryzen 1700x
- 32 GB of ram (EEC)
- 6 x 10TB, 1 SSD
- 10 Gbe network card X540-AT2
- 750 W corsair

FreeNAS 11, latest updates.
Code:
FreeBSD SUPERNAS.local.chefclub.tools 11.1-STABLE FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #0 r321665+de6be8c8d30(freenas/11.1-stable)

No /var/log/messages showing anything about the crash, but after a continuous NAS to NAS transfer @300 mbits/s reported on the network link for a few hours the machine eventually freezes (no connection, no keyboard input on the screen). Temps are normal.

It also brings the whole network down :/

I bought an Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2 (rev 01) card on purpose so right now I am trying on the motherboard 1Gb network Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection card, to see if that makes any difference.

Any hints?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick2253

Wizard
It also brings the whole network down :/

This is odd. What else are you doing on the FreeNAS box? If your FreeNAS is only serving as a NAS, it's highly suspicious that your NAS would take down your entire network. This makes me question your switch/router.

Typically, any kind of network errors/freezing, especially with AMD hardware, are because of a non-Intel NIC (usually RealTek). However, as you stated, your mobo does have an onboard Intel NIC. Are you sure you are using the Intel NIC (and not the Killer NIC)?

300Mbps seems slow for gigabit connection. Can you describe your network layout, and your other NAS?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS 11, latest updates.
As I recall, FreeNAS 11.1 has a memory leak which could be the culprit. I would suggest upgrading to FreeNAS 11.1-U2. It produces log spam that is scheduled for correction in 11.2, but is fully functional as far as I know.

coulix

Dabbler
Alright, it froze again on the integrated network card, the network was ok this time.

I will now update to 11.2 and report back.

coulix

Dabbler
Since I could not find how to install U2, I used 11 Nightlies.

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
U2 is different than 11.2. Ux is used to designate fix updates to point updates. For example, 11.1U2 is the second fix update for the point 1 update.

coulix

Dabbler
Well, latest nightly did seem to fix the issue, it has been rock solid since!

coulix

Dabbler
Hum, well, actually, not solved. Still freezes but way less frequently.
No logs.

coulix

Dabbler
I will try something else, removing the 10 Gb network card and see.

Worst come the worst, how can I transfer the drives to a new intel setup.

I have 8 sata drives, do I need to to keep the order of the drives on the new system? Does a fresh freenas with import config will recognize the drives by itself and restores the pool?

Nick2253

Wizard
Drives should be automagically recognized and your pool imported. Order/controller doesn't matter.

coulix

Dabbler
Now, that is a good news. I contacted ixsystems to have an Intel quote. Somehow I already know its going to be way more that what I spent on this Ryzen AMD setup :(

Status
Not open for further replies.