FreeNAS zpool import - unavailable / unsuported features / last accessed / damaged - pool issue

niveltun

Cadet
Hello,

I am having an issue importing an old volume into a new system.

What happened:
This is an old HDD that I had in an old FreeNAS System. I think around Version 9, I can not remember exactly from two years ago. Since the issue, I not used anymore the FreeNAS.
I had some errors during that time on the disk, so, I let the disk as it was, with the hope that someday I could restore the files. I have my Photos there. As I am a Photography Enthusiast I would like to restore my files.
I have tried different methods to restore the data, but with no help.

Needed:
I only want to mount somehow my old volume "Vol03_3TB" in an SMB share, and copy from there my files.

Now I am using "FreeNAS-11.3-U2". The volume is not accessible from GUI. I could see it only through Shell.
I am not a Shell or Linux/UNIX enthusiast. But with a little help probably I can restore my data and create a SMB Share from GUI to get my data after that.

Tests I have proceeded with:
  • i can import the zpool only with read only command "zpool import -f Vol03_3TB -o readonly=on"
    but from here I can not do anything with the pool.
  • with command "zpool import -Fnf Vol03_3TB" it does not happen anything.
  • zpool upgrade with default ZFS type (1) is not working (I have forgot to make a print screen here)
  • the status of the old pool is unavailable, has unsupported features, was last accesed and is damaged.
(more info below)

Below you can find some print screens of what I have tried, but somehow I can not get it working.
In the _attached_ PDF file you can find in more detail what I have tried, but still with no success.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

pool Vol03 3TB.png

root@freenas[~]# zpool import -Fn Vo103 3TB.png

SIZE ALLOC.png

root freenas[~]# zpool history Vo103_3TB.png

root freenas[~]# zpool status.png

cannot set property for 'Vo103_3TB' pool is read-only.png

root@freenas[~]# zpool upgrade.png

Attachments

• FreeNAS zpool import issues.pdf
    514.6 KB · Views: 269

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You don't need to upgrade it just to mount and copy from it.

You have it imported, so can't change the mountpoint.

Start with zpool export Vol03_3TB

Then zpool import Vol03_3TB Vol03_3TB_restore

Then zpool export Vol03_3TB_restore

Then import it in the GUI.

In your PDF attachment, you have used -Fnf to import, which did nothing (since the n switch tells it to do nothing). It seems like you overcame that already though, so just a note for others who might read it.

Depending on where you want to put the data, consider pushing it from FreeNAS with rsync rather than sharing it out (which may not be possible in Read-Only).

niveltun

Cadet
You don't need to upgrade it just to mount and copy from it.

You have it imported, so can't change the mountpoint.

Start with zpool export Vol03_3TB

Then zpool import Vol03_3TB Vol03_3TB_restore

Then zpool export Vol03_3TB_restore

Then import it in the GUI.

In your PDF attachment, you have used -Fnf to import, which did nothing (since the n switch tells it to do nothing). It seems like you overcame that already though, so just a note for others who might read it.

Depending on where you want to put the data, consider pushing it from FreeNAS with rsync rather than sharing it out (which may not be possible in Read-Only).

Hello sretalla,

Thank you for your help. So I followed your steps.

booting up the machine
export is not working as there is no imported pool

cannot open 'Vo103 3TB' no such pool.png

1587141082221.png

Pasted Graphic 23.png

this works (which is understandable as I can import it only in read only):

Pasted Graphic 24.png

Pasted Graphic 25.png

But still, when I try to import the pool into GUI, I see no pool available.

Storage > Pools > ADD > Import an Existing Pool > NEXT > (Decrypt) No, Continue with import > NEXT

1587141168962.png

What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you.

sretalla