SOLVED FreeNAS won't shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubenSosa

Cadet
Hi,
when i try to shut down FreeNAS from the web gui or the console the shutdown sequence stops at waiting for PIDS: 194

PzwgxEy.jpg

After that nothing happens and I'm forced to do a hard reset.
Anyone experience this problem before?

kr,
Ruben

FreeNAS 9.10.2 U3
Asrock H110M-ITX
Intel Pentium G4560
PERC H310 flashed to 2118it

Last edited by a moderator:

zoomzoom

Guru
Likely due to CAM status errors, which are not always output in the kernel log during shutdown/reboot. If you were to select reboot, instead of shutdown, it would do so without the hang, or at least this was my experience for months on 9.3 until I finally figured out it was due to intermittent SATA cable failure.
  • Have you seen any CAM status errors during the kernel log boot output?
    • If you don't have convenient access to a monitor or IPMI, once the system has fully booted, from shell issue: dmesg | grep CAM
  • Try disconnecting all drives, adding them back one by one until you see the same behavior, then try a different SATA cable for that drive.
    • Are any drives connected via eSATA?

Stux

MVP
Its waiting for the middlewared

This sounds like a bug to me, unless the middlewared is hanging for some unknown reason.

What version of FreeNAS are you using?

RubenSosa

Cadet
Thanks for the replies so far. I have listed the replies to your questions below:

• select reboot, instead of shutdown: Reboot works without issue, only shutdown produces this problem
  • dmesg | grep CAM : no results found
  • Are any drives connected via eSATA: no, 7 drives via double miniSAS to 4x Sata cable
  • disconnecting all drives: i would try this, but will it impact/risk the data on my raidZ2 array?
  • What version of FreeNAS are you using? FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269)

Stux

MVP
If you shutdown (and poweroff), and then disconnect all your drives, it will not risk you data. Then poweron.

After testing, poweroff, and reconnect your drives. They should automount exactly as before.

RubenSosa

Cadet
Hi,

thanks for the help! it appears reconnecting all sata cables did the trick!!! I suspect 1 cable made a bad connection....

Would a bad cable connection or a tight bend impact data integrity in the long run or does the SATA protocol have a checksum like TCP/IP to ensure integrity during transmission?

kind regards,
ruben

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There is a checksum but you should also run a scrub just to be sure.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

zoomzoom

Guru
...Would a bad cable connection or a tight bend impact data integrity in the long run...
Depending on the manufacturer of the cable, 99% of SATA cables should not be forced into a tight bend, with a bend no tighter than the girth of a thumb, and I would assume the same rule of thumb goes for SAS cables (I could be wrong, as I've never used SAS cables). The only manufacturer I know of who designed SATA cables that can have a tight bend of up to 90 degrees is SilverStone.

Status
Not open for further replies.