SOLVED FreeNAS won't boot up

AltecBX

Patron
Don't know what happened. IT was working fine until today.
I went into the IPMI and this is what I see when I rebooted.

1671883327497.png

Redcoat

MVP
Boot drive failure?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Don't know what happened. IT was working fine until today.
I went into the IPMI and this is what I see when I rebooted.
Your signature indicates that you are using a USB stick as boot drive. If so that likely means the latter has died on you and should be replaced with an SSD or SATA DOM.

AltecBX

Patron
Damn, I have no time to do an SSD or SATA DOM at the moment. Is there a way to replicate the USB drive to another USB drive to hold me through the holidays?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Is there a way to replicate the USB drive to another USB drive to hold me through the holidays?
That wouldn't make any sense. You would copy corrupted data over.

I would do a fresh install and reconfigure things manually. Or, if you have a good backup of your configuration, use that one. I hope you do not have an encryption key only on this USB stick.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
If the data on the drive is potentially already corrupt? This might end up being a bad life choice. Your data is safe, keep it that way.

Do a fresh install. I'd also counsel to using a SATADOM or real SSD combined with going to a boot pool. Even if a boot pool doesn't result in a perfect restart due to the BIOS not playing nice, at least you will have a perfect copy to substitute for the original boot drive.

AltecBX

Patron
Boom... I'm back online.
I was able to repurpose an old Samsung 850 500GB SSD. It was as easy as uploading the backup file. It feels like nothing happened.
Never realized how important that backup file really is. I will now regularly back up my system.
Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
That’s a great choice as a boot drive. Hope this is the last trouble you encounter.

Redcoat

MVP
Glad you are back up and validating the wisdom of config backup and the ease of using it!

Now for a Happy New Year!